Jane

It's still dark out. I wonder how early it is? I hear the birds chirping, so hopefully not too early. As I stretch and yawn -smack- a bird hit my window. I jolt and stretch my back weird, letting out a giggled sigh. I roll around in my blankets before finally stepping out of the bed and into some slippers. Walking over to the kitchen sink - right across the room from my bed - I grab a coffee cup and pour some milk and tea into it. I wrinkle my toes in my slippers against the shag rug in front of the sink. This makes me feel nice. As I take a few steps over to the door, I grab my robe and coat. It is still winter.

I open the door, stepping out into the harsh cold, feeling the goosebumps forming all over. I take a deep breath, inhaling the stark weather. I slowly sip and cradle my tea, staring out. A breeze comes by, blowing my now long hair into the wind. Such a refreshing feeling. Looking down from the edge of the deck, I see water gushing still - in these frigid temperatures -, it falls down; and near the bottom a fresh sound of water hitting ice. The lake is now frozen over, but the mill near the end keeps the flow going to prevent flooding in the winter.

Turning back around to the house, a familiar scent hits me. I feel tingles run all over my body. It can't be him, can it? No. Impossible, it's just one of those moments again. I sigh, opening the door.

I take my coat and robe off. Walk to the far end of the room and open the bathroom door. Once inside I slowly remove my clothing, admiring myself in the mirror. Plastic surgery has come a long way since the incident happened. I no longer look like his image of beauty. I am free.