Pride

Saiki and Akechi were used to betting against each other, and Akechi was used to winning.

Despite having lost the majority of their games and bets, Saiki kept playing along, letting his competitive side get the best of him. Of course, Akechi would usually share whatever dessert he won, so aside from the temporary blow to his ego, losing wasn't all that bad.

Akechi was sitting on his bed, reading a book.

Saiki came up next to him, wrapping his arms around his waist and resting his head on his shoulder.

"Hello," he said, chuckling.

'Hi.'

Akechi turned his book to allow Saiki to read off his shoulder.

Usually, Akechi would welcome the affection, and if he was smart enough to keep quiet for once, Saiki would continue pretending like he was doing something completely normal while digging his face into his neck and cuddling up to him like a cat.

'What are you reading?'

"The Dedication Of Subject Z. It's a new series. I've only read the first book, but I think they're gradually improving, concerning plotline and characterization."

"Hmm."

Akechi saw out of the corner of his eye as Saiki's softened features slowly formed into a small smile, which he could only differentiate from a straight face because his default expression was more of a scowl than anything.

He could've stayed quiet. He probably should've, too, but he was used to speaking without thinking.

"Y'know Kusuo-kun, you're so cold to everyone else, I never thought you'd be so clingy."

And that's when it started.

Saiki let go of him and sat on the bed beside him, leaning back.

'Clingy? What do you mean by clingy?'

Akechi put his book down.

"Well, maybe not clingy... I mean, the way you're so affectionate, even if you pretend not to be."

'What is that supposed to mean...?' he projected, tugging softly at the edge of his shirt.

"I didn't mean to offend you, I think it's endearing, the way you're so attached to me."

And there it is again.

'Attached? What do you mean attached?'

"I, well..." he trailed off, smiling nervously. "I'm not sure. But it's quite sweet."

'You say this as if you're not attached to me.'

He should've stayed quiet.

"I'm not going to lie and say I'm not attached to you, but I'm certainly not as attached to you as you are to me."

Saiki's face flushed as he clenched his fists.

'Sure you're not.'

Akechi chuckled.

"I'm not."

He definitely should've stayed quiet.

"I doubt you could spend a day apart from me."

'And are you claiming that you could?'

Akechi smiled coyly.

"Yes."

Saiki would never admit it, especially not to Akechi, but it stung a little to hear him say it.

"I don't think it'd be too difficult. I know the way I'm saying it makes it sound cold and indifferent, but I promise that this was not my intention. I mean it in a realistic way, because I have considered it before, what it'd be like not to see you for an entire day. I think I considered it first a few months ago, when I noticed there were no gaps in between our visits to each other's houses. People are rather social creatures; the most social, I believe, but technically, I would still be alive and well, even if several weeks passed and I hadn't seen you. Unless of course, I was plagued with the knowledge that I would never see you again, or that the reason I couldn't be with you was because you were sick or hurt, which in the latter, isn't very probable, considering your powers, and I'd still be perfectly healthy, both mentally and physically, since I would know that the situation, as dire as it might seem at the time, is only temporary."