[26] ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ

"Then what's stopping you from coming out? C'mon Alex..."

*****

"Hey, Alex, look I am so so so freaking sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight. I'm stuck at work and I probably won't be home til, like, midnight..."

He listened to the voicemail left on his phone. He hadn't picked up because he was showering. Getting ready for tonight.

"Can we reschedule? You can go out with some friends or something- I promise I won't feel bad. I already feel bad enough and you don't need to suffer because of me-"

"Y/n!"

"Oh god, okay that was my supervisor- I gotta go. I love you and, again, I am so sorry," She paused before saying the next words, almost as if she was thinking about whether or not they were appropriate to even say under the circumstances. Still, she said them.

"Happy Anniversary."

With that, the phone was hung up and Alex was left with a gutted feeling in his chest. He had spent weeks preparing the best anniversary dinner he could. Made plans that would kill him if they were canceled. And now, here was Y/n, canceling.

"Jesus fucking Christ," Alex swore under his breath as he tried to call and cancel all the reservations he had made. The restaurant, the dancing, the carriage ride... normally he wasn't this cheesy when he was planning their dates, but seeing as this was their one year anniversary, he wanted to go all out.

So far, all places he called charged him a cancelation fee, so by the time he was finished getting through everyone, Alex was out more money than if he and Y/n had gone.

Now what?

His whole night was planned around a nonexistent anniversary. He had nothing else. He just streamed and uploaded a video yesterday, and he told his viewers that it was he and Y/n's anniversary that day, so they would be more than surprised if he suddenly sent out that notification.

I mean, I could still stream... It'll be awkward, but it's better than sitting at home and just thinking about Y/n...

Alex changed out of the elegant suit he wore and into a plain hoodie and shorts, topped off with his signature beanie. He sat down and decided to just do a chill stream on his alt channel, but just before he could hit that stream button, he got a call.

In hopes that it was Y/n saying she would be home early and they could still spend the evening together, he answered it without even checking the Caller ID.

"Y/n?"

"No, Carlos."

Oh, Carlos. A friend from school that Alex got along with mildly-well. Okay, Alex kinda hated his guts, while Carlos acted like a cheesy jerk. Before Alex and Y/n had gotten together, Carlos was determined to take her from him while pretending to be Alex's friend. Even now, one year into the relationship, he would still find this guy hitting on Y/n and trying to convince her to "run away with him."

Even though she laughed it off and reassured him that she would never be into Carlos that way, it still got Alex's blood boiling whenever Carlos was even in the same room as them.

Now here he was, calling him. Why? Proposing they go out to a bar and have a few drinks.

"No, I'm not going drinking with you," he exaggerated the last words, hoping Carlos would catch the hint. He didn't. "I'm busy tonight."

"No you're not. If you were, you wouldn't have picked up asking 'Y/n?'" He mocked him. Any false sense of friendship faded when he heard his girlfriend's name drip like venom from that guy's tongue. "You guys didn't break up did you? You know that would be a real shame-"