Chapter I: The Beginning

Heroism has always been something that I awed and stared at. I would watch heros on the news, defeating and beating villains. But what awed me wasn't their "astonishing" or "remarkable" accomplishments, but, the little things they did.

Like, saving kittens from trees, donating to charity, or helping the community. To others this seemed like a small and meaningless task, but to me? That's what I aspire to become. A hero who isn't all flash and dazzle, but a hero that cares and loves her community. To me that's what makes heroes..heroes.

But if you told me long ago that I had to fight off massive robots just to become one, I would've told you you were crazy. But here I am, defending against this piece of tin who makes my power, powerless.

BOOM!

The robot fired past me. I dodge swiftly, this was harder than I had originally anticipated. Everyone ran past me as I persevered and fought off the robot, but my bubble gas had no effect on the giant piece of metal.

I stumbled continuously on the rocky and rumble surroundings that the robot had caused. I couldn't keep wasting my time with this thing, and I had never been a strategist, so this wasn't my scene. I jumped onto my bubble to try and avoid the robot, hitting it in its back with a pole that laid on the ground. I hit a weak point and disabled it.

That should be about 17 or maybe 20 points.

I looked at my surroundings to find another robot to defeat, the ground turned dark as a shadow formed on the ground. My eyes widened and I quickly looked back seeing the robot stand before me. The robot swung towards me, having no time to react. I lifted my arms over my head waiting for impact. I wasn't going to get in and this was clearer than ever, after I got hit, I'm done.

A blaring clash was heard in front of me and the final blow hadn't been made, my eyes peer open. My eyes widened in surprise to see a boy standing in front of me, his arms hardened to rock as he held off the robot. He pushed the robot away and pierced the robot in half with one full swing. He saved me!

The boy looked back at me, his short black hair wet from sweat, and his big red eyes stared into my soul. I blinked at him for a moment and wanted to say thank you, for giving me another chance, but my throat dried. He smiled at me with his strangely sharp teeth.

He ran the other direction to continue with the test. I wanted to run after him, but I knew I shouldn't stop him. After all, we both needed to pass this exam in order to get into the school. We probably shouldn't waste time on talking, even though it was very tempting.

I defeated a bunch more robots, and counted the total of points I had. 67 points. It wasn't bad, and hopefully my performance was good enough for the school to let me in. The test had finished and it was about time for me to go. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, that probably had been the toughest workout I'd ever done, and definitely not the last. I could have done better with my fighting skills and used the boxing techniques that Papa had taught me beforehand, and it undoubtedly would have gotten me some brownie points from the judges, total bummer...

My puffy bun had gotten all frizzy from so much humidity and sweat I'd been producing, my pretty dark skin was originally littered with purple bruises, but at the test a wonderful and sweet old lady, Recover Girl, healed them right up with a kiss. Which was weird to some, but not to me, I found it quite sweet.

I wonder if I'll get in? What if my efforts mean nothing, and I don't get into U.A— no. Stop that Arakan. You're going to be fine, and you'll make it...hopefully! I reached my house, walking to the gate and unlocking it. I could already see my mom's face from the window.