Prelude

The Runorata Family: According to the Hitman Vino

"Hello? —Oh, Luck. That's rare. You never contact me... No, I'm happy. How're Keith and Berga and everybody? I see. That's great to hear."

"... Huh? The Runoratas? You mean the Runorata Family from New Jersey?

"... Yeah, I know a bit about 'em.

"... What are they like? Let's see... That outfit's just like a kingdom. A guy named Bartolo Runorata built it from the ground up in just one generation. The syndicate's got a huge variety of people, and Bartolo's leadership is what keeps 'em all together. If we're just comparing the strength of your organizations, you fellas are cats in front of their lion. Or, no, maybe mice.

"—Hold up, though. If they're rumbling with you... That must be Gustavo, the guy in charge of their advance into New York; or maybe Begg, the one in charge of drug development and management— Oh, what? Nah, I've never seen their faces. But I've heard rumors about the Begg guy. All weird ones. Like he's actually a magician, or he's immortal, that sort of stuff... Crazy, right? Haha.

"So, what about 'em?

"... I see. Understood. For now, just hold on until I... until the Flying Pussyfoot limited express gets there. If you do, it won't matter if you're up against a lion or a magician; I respect you three mice, and I'll put you up on a magic artillery battery. If you're fighting a fairy tale demon, you need a fairy tale hero. And that would be me.

"Relax: Fairy tale heroes always win. So, you know...

"Don't you die before I get there."

—∞—

Roy Maddok: According to Fred, a Doctor Living in New York City

What sort of fellow is Roy? Hmm... To summarize public opinion, I believe the term human scum might be apt.

I feel no particular contempt for him, but the moment he got involved with drugs, it was inevitable that the world would see him that way. However, even if he hadn't... I know that as a person, he was slightly out of step with the rest of society.

For a long time, you see, he's been constantly injuring himself or getting sick; among the doctors in town, he's rather notorious. For the most part, the cause lies in the man himself.

From what I'm told, Roy has always been reckless. He never considers the consequences. How do I put this...? He's of person who can't visualize the fact that if you light a campfire in the middle of your room because you're cold, you'll start a house fire and burn to death. That example was too extreme, but you get my meaning.

He's certainly the type of individual the world calls trash... However, he doesn't seem to be headed down a degenerate path of his own volition. He simply acts before he's formed any judgements about good or bad, benefit or loss. I suspect his ego is underdeveloped. In life, he is constantly passive with regard to his environment... That is how it strikes me.

As though he's a character in a poorly made film, no doubt the current scene is the only thing on his mind. Neither past nor future exists. As long as that moment shines, all is well.

Will he manage to turn his life around? I really couldn't say, and I'm not especially interested.

That said—and I simply quote my assistant here—if he were an actor, he'd be the type whose co-star and only audience is his lover. If he comes to understand that and is able to face her, when that happens, perhaps...

—∞—

The Information Brokerage: According to Ronny Schiatto, Martillo Family Chiamatore

What exactly are you trying to ask me?

I doubt anything I can say will be useful to you people, but well, no matter.

... The information brokerage? Ah, you mean the Daily Days newspaper.

The existence of those guys is something straight out of fantasy.

To the average person, someone who knows things about you that even you don't know very easily becomes and object of respect and fear.

I've lived for a rather long time, but... in this world, the brokerage is a fairly alien entity. When you become involved with them, you fall prey to the illusion that you've become the protagonist of a fairy tale... What's that look for? You don't believe me? Well, no matter.

If information is power, their power is certainly great. I'd wager that's precisely why they generally try to stay neutral with regard to the world.

However, even they aren't omniscient. No one knows everything about the world. There cannot be such a being. Precisely because there is no such being, the spiritualistic word omniscient is allowed to exist.

As I mentioned before, in this world, they are a completely absurd entity. To that extent, you could say they have universal knowledge. As an entity that is extremely close to omnipotence, they just barely manage to keep themselves in this world... although, they themselves may not be aware of this.

... You don't understand what I'm talking about? I did tell you I wouldn't necessarily be able to say anything useful... Well, no matter.

In any case, avoid dealing with them any more than you have to. Particularly if you wish to live an ordinary within the bounds of reality.