[27] ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ - ᴘᴀʀᴛ 2

"I'm leaving."

One knock.

Nothing.

Two knocks.

Nothing.

The third time he knocked, Alex continuously tapped on that apartment's wooden door, not willing to give up until Y/n answered. It had been a few days since she stormed out of his apartment. Everymessage he sent and call he tried to make failed. Only after the third day of trying did Alex realize he had been blocked.

His knuckles just about turned red and neighbors had started peeking out when Alex finally heard the lock click from the other side.

"Y/n?"

"You need to leave."

Her eyes were dry, but cracked red from the last few nights and the circles under them only made them stand out even more. They matched the exact shade of the sky from that cursed night.

"No, Y/n, seriously, you need to listen to me—"

"No, Alex, you need to leave me alone." Y/n turned away and attempted to slam the door in his face, but Alex wasn't ready to let her try and leave again. He was in shock and off-guard the first time and he just wanted to get that random girl out of his apartment; this time, he was determined to make things right between him and the girl he loved. He pushed the door back open and invited himself inside the small apartment.

"Y/n, listen to me, I would never— Wait, what's all this?" As he followed the young woman inside, he noticed the difference in decor from the last time he had visited this well-known apartment.

The last time Alex was here, the small home was decorated with pictures of the couple and her friends, her furniture was nicely arranged, and it was the coziest home-away-from-home Alex could ask for. But now, the walls were blank and boxes were strewn about the floor, along with materials to accompany it like bubble wrap, newspaper, and packing tape. From the looks of it, someone was moving... out.

"I'm leaving."

"You're—You're what?"

Y/n picked up a piece of newspaper and continued what she had been doing all morning, while Alex tried to comprehend what she had just told him.

"Look, Y/n, I know what you're thinking and what I did— or what I think I did— was bad, but you can't leave! Not because of this!"

"I'm not leaving because of you. I'm leaving for work."

Once again, it seemed like work was dominating their relationship. Apparently, while Y/n was at work on their anniversary, her boss had offered her a promotion and an opportunity to move to a location out of state. Y/n had said "no," but, then again, that was before she had walked in on the love of her life betraying her.

"I'm leaving. I never want to see you again. This is the perfect chance for me to leave here and leave you."

His heart was slowly being torn out of his chest, but Y/n already had hers torn out and stomped on. Which is why she felt it was the best decision for herself to move away.

"No. No. You can't leave," Alex spotted a pile of boxes right next to his feet. Y/n rolled her eyes before walking towards him to pick up one of the boxes in an effort to continue her packing, even with Alex as a distraction. Before she could grab a box, Alex stepped over and sat himself down, right on top of the boxes."I won't let you."

Y/n rolled her eyes before trying to pull out the top box from underneath Alex.

"Seriously, I have to pack. You need to leave," She said.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"Fine!" Y/n let go of the box and stomped over to the opposite half of the room. She crossed her arms before slumping down against the wall directly across from Alex's seated position. She locked eyes with the young man. "Guess I'll just wait for you to leave."

He smirked, "Sounds good to me."

There's no way he'll stay here that long.

I give it an hour. MAX.

~

The sky faded from it's baby blue tone into a flaming sunset that peeked through the blinds in Y/n's windows. There she sat, still on the floor, struggling to keep her head high as she continued her staredown with the cheating scum. It had been hours and they didn't move from their positions and while Alex tried to speak to the angered young woman, she shut him down everytime, leading to more awkward silence.

Finally, the exhaustion was starting to catch up with the two and patience was running short.

"Look, Y/n, clearly I made a mistake—"

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, I did," His tone was cool and his energy flat. Alex didn't even have the energy to get too riled up about trying to prove himself to Y/n. He just wanted this mess to be over and to have his girlfriend back again. "Clearly, I was drunk outta my mind, there's no way I would do that sober."

"It shouldn't matter if you were sober or not, Alex! Even if you were pitch-black-passed-out drunk, you still should know not to pull that shit!"

The guilt plunged into Alex's gut like the bluntest of knives. He knew he had no excuse for what had happened, but he knew he had to try everything to get Y/n back. He stood up from his spot on the moving boxes, which had been imprinted by his sitting figure.

"Look, Y/n, she meant nothing to me! Absolutely nothing! In fact, if anything, I think she made me realize how much I love you and wanna be with you!"

"It doesn't take sleeping with someone else to figure that out, asshole!" In a heated rage, Y/n had stood up and grabbed the nearest bundle of old newspaper to throw at Alex. Each word that came from his mouth - every plea and declaration of love - all seemed fake just knowing what he had done. Every happy memory Y/n had of Alex was tainted with a disgusting picture of him lying beside another woman. "You need to go. I need to pack."

Y/n breathed hard, holding back the tears was proving to be more strenuous than she thought, "Please, Alex, don't make this harder. Just go."

"No," he said. He stepped towards the young woman. "I won't. Y/n, I—I love you."

He grasped her arms and tried so hard to capture her eyes with his, but each time he tried, she averted her gaze. She just couldn't face him.
"Alex, how do you expect me to believe that anymore?"

Those words. They shattered Alex's heart.

"So, that's it?"

Y/n nodded.

"We're just... over?"

She let her head fall and tears started to trinkle onto the wooden paneling of the floor.

"See, here's the thing, Alex... I used to think of you as someone who would never, ever hurt me," She finally met his gaze, "But now all I can see is you... as a traitor."

Limp. His arms were limp as she wiped her tears and walked past him, towards the front door where she asked him one final time to leave. This time, he did.

She shut the door without a final goodbye. He made his way silently - numbly - down the hallway and into the elevator of her small apartment building. He pushed the button to go down to the lobby. The doors closed.

And he broke down.