The Best Nightmare

A/N: Loosely inspired by a conversation with close-friend's dad during her wedding that I attended a while back. What started as a one-shot solely in Norman's POV somehow transformed into... third person. All in an attempt to make this less 'gloomy'. Well, at least it kind of starts and ends with him.

This is set 13 years after Battle Frontier ended, and with my not-very-reliable calculations, May is 23 years old and Drew is a year older than her.

Disclaimer: The author does not own Pokémon, and fully respects the works and ingenuity of Satoshi Tajiri, Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda.

---

It's been said that a daughter is a treasure and a cause of sleeplessness. It's also been said that every daughter's dream and every father's nightmare will meet at the same time.

Norman could certainly attest to that.

What is that cause and day? It's the time where they have to give their daughter away.

As Norman sat on the edge of his bed and stared at the well-pressed suit hanging outside the closet, he felt a swirl of indescribable emotions. It was hard to identify them. Was it worry, confusion, apprehension?

'No, all these are negative emotions, and tomorrow is to be a joyful occasion.'

His train of thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Honey! It's late, go to bed, we can't have you groggy for May's big day! Good night!"

Having said so, Caroline, with a warm eye compress mask in hand, tucked herself under the covers and gestured to Norman to switch off the lights.

"Good night." Norman muttered, pressing the switch.

He pulled the blanket up to his chest, still thinking about what's to come tomorrow, closed his eyes, and dreamed of the past. The past where his lovely May called him 'daddy' for the first time. The past where she and Max got into their first of many squabbles. The past where she was finally granted permission to go on a journey, and returned with her own pokémon, contest ribbons, even a ribbon cup......

And a guy.

Normal jolted up, now awake.

Yes, that's right. She achieved so much, and as if all those weren't enough, she brought home a guy as well.

***

"So, tell us again, how did your father eventually accept Drew?"

While Norman was deep in his thoughts (or dream), May and her girlfriends were having her bachelorette's party in the Grand Slateport Resort. Well, perhaps slumber party will be a better term, for they were all in their comfy pajamas, lying on the plushy bed, and munching on 'healthy' snacks.

Serena and Iris, having been recently acquainted with the rest of the group, visibly perked up the moment Zoey brought this topic up. Dawn, Leaf and Misty started giggling, well aware of what went down - they did witness it first hand after all.

"Did he throw stones or something?" Serena asked with her eyes wide open. At this, Dawn shook her head and replied, "No, silly! Norman simply sent his gang of Vigoroth and Slaking after Drew."

"What? Are you serious!?" Iris was shocked.

"Drew proposed at the seaside restaurant in this very same resort." Leaf let out a little laugh before continuing, "It's simply unfortunate that Norman caught the tail end of it when he swung by to buy the exclusive choux that this resort imports from Kalos, which Caroline really wanted."