Stone Hearts

Chapter 1

The wind blew through my hair, whispering into my numb ears as it ran straight over my face and into my eyes.

I breathed in deeply, letting the air swim into my lungs for the last time.

All I knew was that this life held nothing for me anymore. I was average, an average girl in an average world. The fact that I held nothing special or unique in personality, appearance or talent what so ever, was the reason I was stood here, facing the chilling wind and staring at the inside of my eyelids.

My parents weren’t bad parents, they were just average. After reading books about people who meet their prince charming in the desolate halls of secondary school, and stories of beautiful girls facing the world by themselves in a fearless journey to save the universe, a life in the middle of nowhere held no promise of any of anything nearly as interesting happening to me

My name is Aithne, my parents aren’t dead, they’re waiting at home for me to come back from another “walk”.

“She’ll be back.” I can just hear my Dad announce in his superior voice, while my mother nods her head viciously.

Well I won’t be, and no, I’m not childish, pathetic maybe.

Just bored of average, can you blame me?

I took another step towards the edge, just peeking under my eyelashes to watch my step. Yes, I am clumsy but that doesn’t make me cute or appealing to guys, just invisible. Hell, if I had fallen of the cliff because I had stepped too far to the left, it would make this seem more like an accident, and I couldn’t give my parents that kind of comfort.

I wasn’t ridiculously rich, or poor. I wasn’t religious and I didn’t have cancer. I wasn’t a virgin, but I wasn’t a whore. I wasn’t brave or cowardly. I was average, to my very core.

This time I didn’t need my eyes, I jumped, hoping the freezing, unforgiving, storm riddled ocean would swallow me up.

The wind whistled faster and my hair whipped back, I was going to face plant, again. Great, just flipping great.

I hit the water like a blind falcon hitting a brick wall, I felt at least seven bones break on impact, it was a long fall.

I couldn’t have swum to the surface if I had even wanted to; one of my legs was broken, probably snapped in half.

I didn’t care much for pain, not anymore. No regrets they say, well I had about 19 and that’s a rough estimate.

“Such a waste,” That’s what they’d tell them, not that anybody would really know me; hell, might not even find this body.

The icy water filled my lungs slowly, jeez just die already.

Now it really hurt, I was suffocating while being thrown against some lifeless piles of granite, I had been swimming down here loads of times and I knew the dangers like I knew the alphabet. Maybe that’s why I choose to die here, too many good memories.

Then it went black.

???’s P.O.V

I watched carefully as her petite form neared the edge carefully. I could see in her eyes from this distance her resolution, this was serious.

I couldn’t have stopped her, it wasn’t allowed.

Watching helplessly, I tried to turn away. It just reminded me of myself, my stupid, younger self.

She fell, almost gracefully through the air eyes tightly shut waiting for the impact of the stormy waves, what a day to die.

Her body hit the water, and I could see her bones shattering as they grinded through her pale skin and rebounded off of the water, my heightened senses even heard the ripping of sinews as her broken body splashed pathetically into the pitch black waters.

Before I knew what I was doing, I was dragging her from the water but she was already dead, it must have taken 12 seconds in all.

The chances of survival were minuscule; her chances were halved immediately because of her gender and her currently lifeless state. She wouldn’t survive, but what was the harm in trying, I was already being hunted.

I straddled her waist, fishing behind her head for a strong hold and tearing her limp hair from her cold neck. Before I could convince myself to let it go, I was ripping at her skin and draining her life force with my pincer-like teeth. The blood swirled around my mouth and trickled down my throat like hot milk on a winter’s night.

I kept sucking, tightening my hold on her, and clamping down further.

When at last her blood ran dry I took my wrist to my own mouth and tore at the sinews.

I gazed at my own blood as it trickled down my arm like rubies on snow, it juxtaposed the pale contours of the young girls face and that enticed my inhumane instincts even more. The blood traced her lips like fine wine and found it’s way to the back of her neck were it dribbled down further, out of sight.

Laying her head back onto the icy rocks, I sighed. I’d really done it now, there was no place for me now, I had broken the immortal rule.

But somehow, the stirring girl beneath my gaze lifted an ounce of guilt off of my shoulders.

Throwing my dark hair over my slight shoulder with a flick of my wrist I ran in the opposite direction of the girl, maybe someday my child, we will meet again.