CHAPTER ONE

The wind blew through Esther's red hair while she lay on the soft green grass gazing up at the sky. She shaded her violet eyes with her hand to see the white cotton clouds above her as the hot summer sun shone down on her. She was so engrossed in the majesty of the sky that she almost didn't notice her watch beeping.

  Esther checked the time on her blue watch. It read eleven o'clock. It was time for lunch. She stood up and dusted herself off before picking up her bag. As she walked down the street towards the local diner, she slipped her hands into the pockets of her light jacket.

  The diner was decorated in a retro style. It was warm and inviting to anyone who came in. Esther considered it as a second home. Ever since she was adopted, her mother had worked hard to ensure Esther's well-being.

  As Esther entered, a little bell rang, and she was welcomed by the delicious scent of food and coffee. She walked across the wooden floor and approached a red leather booth occupied by a small woman with chestnut brown hair. "Hey, Jo Ann," she said sitting down across from her.

  Jo Ann was someone Esther had known her whole life. Jo Ann took care of her if her mother had to work late. She was always doing something to help them.

  "Hey Essie, how was your mornin’?" Jo Ann answered with the southern drawl that Esther was all too familiar with.

  "It was good. How about you?" Esther asked.

  "Every day is a new day," she replied while sipping her coffee.

  "Yeah. I guess it is," Esther responded with a smile, noting how much she appreciated Jo Ann's optimism. She'd picked up her ability to be positive from Jo Ann.

  A woman dressed in a blue t-shirt and jeans approached the table and placed a glass of pop in front of Esther. The name Marie was written on her name tag. No one would suspect that Marie had adopted Esther because she looked so much like her daughter; the only difference between them was their eyes. Marie's were a soft shade of blue.

  "Thanks, Mom," Esther said before removing the straw from its wrapper and inserting it into her drink.

  "You're welcome, Sweetie. I assume you'll want the usual," Marie replied.

  "Yes please."

  "And what would you like today, Jo Ann?"

  "Well, I'll have the special today," Jo Ann replied.

  "Medium rare, right?"

  "No other kind."

  Marie smiled. "All right, I'll have those right out." She walked off towards the kitchen to put in their orders. While waiting for their meal, Jo Ann and Esther chatted. They ate in relaxed silence when Marie brought it out minutes later. 

  "Let me pay for Essie's, Sugarcube," Jo Ann said as Marie handed her the check. "Oh no, Jo Ann you don't have to."

  "Marie, I insist. Since you work so hard every day and do so much for me, let me repay you."

  Marie sighed as she looked at Esther and then at Jo Ann. She said, with a smile, "Okay, thank you, Jo Ann. You're sweet."

  "Oh hush, I'm doin’ what any decent person would do for a single mother," Jo Ann replied, standing up. "Everything's going to change for you both soon, I know it."

  Esther grabbed her bag and the styrofoam to-go container that held her leftovers. She stood up saying, "I'm gonna go ahead and go home."

  "Okay, bye, Sweetie," Marie responded as she approached the cash register.

  Esther observed the people as she walked down the street. For an Elementalist like her, living in a town full of Regulars was challenging. Regulars were not afraid of Elementalists; in reality, Elementalists were respected by them. It was because she was a specific kind of Elementalist: a dream Elementalist-- better known as a Dreamer. After she was born, the Dreamers had been wiped out in large numbers. So, for her safety, she had to conceal her abilities before she could travel to Ecclesia.