==Chapter 6==

Advanced Engineering was...fun...ish. It would have been more fun if I didn't have to sit next to Clarissa. "What are you even doing here?" I hissed angrily. "You hate working with your hands."
"People change James. Even me." She hissed back. "You're just here so you can spend time with me, aren't you?" She gave me a wink. "Perhaps." I let out a frustrated groan and raised my hand. "What are you doing?" Clarissa said. "Getting a new place to sit. Professor?" The professor looked at me. "Yes, Mr. Merucry?" "Can I get a new place? Clarissa and I don't really get along well." The professor frowned. "But she assured me that, her being your girlfriend, that sitting next to you would be the perfect spot for you." I glared at Clarissa. "You told him that?!" She just shrugged. I turned back to the professor. "Sir, and everyone else, Clarissa is NOT my girlfriend. That is a messed-up illusion created by her own and it needs to stop. It's not true, it never has been true, and it never will be true. Period." I then got up and sat down in the back of the class.

I didn't pay attention for the rest of the hour. I was fuming. How dare she. Spreading around lies like that. I thought. But my thoughts were interrupted when a man came in.
The professor looked at the newcomer. "Can I help you?" He asked. The man nodded. "Yes. I'm looking for James Mercury." I took a better look at the man.
He was wearing sunglasses and a black suit and had red hair.
I realized it was Avior, got up, and put everything in my bag. "I'm here," I said.  He saw me stand up and gave me a small nod. We left the classroom and he led me toward the parking lots. "I thought Sector Seven wouldn't interfere with my personal life, Agent Avior," I said, not looking at him. He led me to a black SUV and opened the door.
"Get in," he said. I got in the passenger seat and he got into the driver seat, starting the car, and drove off. "There has been a change of plan," Avior said. "We intercepted another message."
A hologram appeared on the dashboard. It looked almost identical to the first one with the only differences being the picture and location. the picture showed me walking over the campus. And the location header read, "Last known location: New York University."
I stared at it. How did they get that picture? I thought.
"Where are you taking me?" I asked looking from the hologram to Avior "A safe place," he said, not taking his eyes off the road. "This message was intercepted only twenty minutes ago. You're lucky I was close by. If I wouldn't have been, you would probably have a squad of Syndicate agents standing in your classroom pointing guns at you by now."
"Is mom safe?" "They're after you, not her. But yes, we have a team of our best guarding her." "Good." That was all I could reply. After an hour's drive, we arrived at an old farm.
Avior parked the car in the barn and we got out. "What is this place?" I asked.
"It's an old safe house of Sector Seven," He replied as he unlocked the door and let me in.
"And for how long do I have to stay here? " "Until we're sure that it is safe for you to go back," Avior sat down at the table. "Now, how good are you at controlling your abilities?"
I sat down in front of him. "Not good. Why?" Agent Avior folded his hands together and leaned on the table. "We think that the Syndicate can track you using the unique energy signature you leave behind as a result of your powers. If you learn to control your gift, you will no longer leave behind such a signature making it impossible for them to track you that way."
"I better start practicing then," I noted. "Indeed." Avior agreed. "You are not the first Telekenesis Anomaly, Sector Seven has had a run-in with, so we do know a little about how your abilities work. The key is focus and willpower. "Wait. If I use my powers, won't that increase the strength of that energy signature?"
Avior nodded. "Yes, it will, until you learn to fully control your abilities, but this house is built with a special layer in its walls and roof. It masks the energy signature from their sensors."

He stood up, walked over to a small cupboard, and took out a couple of items. A dusty, old Rubix cube, a rubber duck, a pocket knife, and a metal bar. He put them on the table in front of me and sat back down. "Try to move any one of these items. Doesn't matter which one. Just remember, focus and willpower are key." I extended my hand and pointed it at the rubber duck.
I imagined it flying into my hand. It moved a little, but it didn't get any further than a couple of centimeters. I tried again, closing my eyes, and focusing on the image of the duck flying into my hand. I felt something tingle in my arm, and I opened my eyes. The rubber duck had again moved a little. This is not going to work. I thought.
I decided to try something else. I imagined an invisible hand grabbing the duck and lifting it in the air. To my surprise, the duck slowly lifted off the table as I slowly lifted my arm.
Avior clapped. "Well done. Now try it without moving your arm."
I practiced for another two hours, with Avior giving me pointers on how to do certain things.
When I asked how Sector Seven knew all of this he showed me a document containing an interview of twenty years ago. It was about a man named Samuel Deager.
Avior explained that Samuel hadn't been discovered by the Syndicate and that he had told them everything he knew about Telekenesis. "So where is he now?" I asked, curious. "He died two years ago. Heart attack. But his daughter is still alive. She is also an Anomaly that the Syndicate doesn't know about." "How many are there?" Avior looked at me a little confused. "What do you mean?" "I mean, how many of us are there that the Syndicate doesn't know about?" "I don't know. That is all classified. I know about the Deagers because I worked on the case personally." I nodded in understanding and lifted the metal bar off the table.
With my Telekenesis I made it bend. "You're a quick learner. Deager told me that it took him an entire year to learn how to make the metal bend and stuff like that." Avior complimented me.
After another fifteen minutes, Avior's Holon beeped. He took it out and unlocked it.
"The coast is clear. You can go home." He got up and put the objects back in the cupboard.
"I advise you to not use your abilities anywhere else than here. It could lead the Syndicate right to your door." "That won't matter I think. They probably already know where I live." I said.
Avior looked at me a little weary. "Okay, then don't use your powers unless absolutely necessary or when you're here, or at home." I nodded, getting my stuff.
We got back in the car and left the farm. "Can you do me a favor?" I asked after ten minutes of driving. Avior looked at me. "Depends." "Can you take me to the hospital first? I have to make an appointment for my arm." He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Your arm?" I opened my backpack and took out the piece of nearly-finished tech. "Yes. My arm." Avior grunted. "Fine. But, uhm, you do know it's still missing the hand, right?" "Yes, I know," I grumbled.
Forty minutes later we arrived at the Tish Hospital. I went inside as Avior waited in the car.
At the desk, I asked for the same doctor who had removed my arm, and a couple of minutes later I was sitting in front of him discussing the surgery. "So to summarise, the surgery is going to take not four, but six hours and you will be unable to leave the hospital for three days." The doctor concluded. "For when do you want to schedule the surgery?"
"The mounting piece won't be finished until Friday and I still have to finish the arm, so what about next Saturday, ten o'clock AM?" I suggested. "So soon? Are you sure?" The doctor said.
"The sooner, the better," I replied. "Then it is settled." The doctor agreed, marking the appointment on his agenda. I shook his hand and said goodbye, hurrying back to Agent Avior.
"Took you some time." He said as I entered the car. "Yeah, sorry about that" I shrugged it off.
Coulson apparently didn't seem to be really bothered and started the car, dropping me off at home fifteen minutes later where I was greeted by Mom. I said goodbye to Avior and went inside, mentally preparing myself for next Saturday.