44. Suspense

Ariana remained silently seated on sofa, eating pudding out of a bronze bowl using a silver spoon while Nate rested on the bed of the chamber assigned to him, with his back leaned against the soft and puffy headboard. 

"There used to be a time when you didn't eat much and look at you now!", exclaimed Nate. "Snatching the bowl from that poor server and devouring the dessert that was meant for everyone. People must be waiting for their share back at the table, you greedy voracious eater!" 

Ariana took a look at him and muttered lazily. "You and me were waiting for our mates too. Until someone else snatched them from us. Actually those two chose each other but the lesson is people don't always get what they want."

Nate shot up from bed. "Why are you being extra philosophical about insignificant things?" He asked, frustrated.

"You asked me a question. I answered it." replied Ariana. 

Nate scoffed. "I see what you're trying to do. Acting all calm and unaffected while minutes ago, you couldn't take your eyes off His Majesty, bastard Xavier."

Ariana maintained her front. "Nothing matters. We are exiting this palace after tomorrow for good. I am returning to the human world. Why would I waste my time keeping up with this drama of the Lancaster and the Bennets?"

"You know that I'm talking about that bastard's pitiable confession."

"What about it?" asked Ariana, raising her left eyebrow.

"What about it!" Nate was now shouting in exasperation caused by her lack of appropriate reaction. "You must be touched! It must have activated the savior complex. You must be having a want to be his knight in shining armor. Fix the powerful yet broken man-"

"- shut the fuck off, Nathaniel Astor!" Ariana spat in anger. "What kind of pathetic girl you think I am?"

Nate took a deep breath and smirked. "You broke down in no time."

"I'm conversing with you, so obviously!" Ariana rolled her eyes. "I'm pretty sure you can get into an argument with anyone, ranging from a new born baby to a dying man."

"One of my many talents." Nate clicked his tongue and smiled smugly. "Anyway, now that you're showing your real emotions, let's talk."

Ariana shook her head. "There's nothing to talk about. I won't lie. I am thinking about what happened back there. But it is better if we limit it to our thoughts only. It will not concern us when we leave." She explained.

"I know." Nate nodded his head. "But was that sad bastard telling the truth? Does he really have remorse and just wants your forgiveness?"

"Remorse or no remorse. If he doesn't accept his misdeeds and apologize publicly to both of us, I won't even give him forgiveness. But he's the King. He won't do it. Case closed."

"Oh thank Moon Goddess!" Nate let out a sigh. "I just wanted to confirm. When I saw you looking at him at the table, I thought you have gone a little soft for him. Thankfully not. Phew!"

Ariana looked at Nate and shook her head in disapproval. "However, I do have some thing to discuss with him later." Saying that she walked out of his chamber.

Commander Rafael entered the King's office and kneeled in front of the seated Xavier. 

"Your Majesty."

"Rise."

Commander stood straight and handed over a scroll that was brought by him. Just then, Duke Lorenzo entered and gave a slight bow to Xavier.