Finding A Ride (matty D x AJ Allmendinger)

*Matt's Pov*

"so do you understand why you can't stay in the #21 car next year matt?" Tim said. I was disappointed I thought since brad is leaving I get to stay in the #21. "look if it's the brand thing, I tried." I said. Tim stood up from the table grabbing the papers to let me go then he looked at me and said "look matt it wasn't the brand thing or the performance thing, it was that rant after the podcast. The sponsors thought it was a good idea since it gave us a bad name. We had no choice so no hard feelings" I cliched the paper knowing I didn't want to post the rant in the first place. I left Tim's office. "dude did you lose your ride" joey said. "yea- I mean no, we were just talking about better options" I said trying to keep calm. "I know your lady forced your hand causing you to lose your ride," joey said jokingly. I knew that was true she forced my hand on everything but I can't walk away from her it seemed wrong. I replied to joey in a sad tone "you are right joey but right now I can't focus on that I have to find a new ride"

I walked out of Penske knowing I ain't welcomed back next year. I pulled the business cards from two years ago "it's been that long ago before I used these" I said. I drove to each shop nearby and drop a card in the mailbox hoping someone will call.
I went to Kaulig Racing hoping they would consider talking about the #10 ride. I dropped the business card and heard someone call my name it was AJ. "I wasn't expecting you to show up matt, I guess you need help to restart your career, well you are in the right spot," AJ said. I felt confused about how did he know about the ride situation. Trying to hide the tears "yeah it's not working out in the Penske shop, young talents, you know?" I replied. "we can talk about it at my place if you want to," he said. I nodded yes knowing she was going to be mad.

I drove home knowing she going to be mad about me losing my job but at this point, I didn't care she was the reason why I lost it in the first place. I walked in knowing she is going to be mad. "you are home early, I heard what happened" she said angrily. "do you realize how much I do for you, I tried to make you happy by letting you rant on my social media causing me to lose my ride" I said, I started to see red, "whatever I am going to my parent's house for the night" she said slamming the door. "DAMN IT WHY IS SHE LIKE THIS AFTER ALL I DID?" I yelled. I heard a knock shit I forgot about the meeting with AJ. I opened the door to let him in. "I guess we are meeting here," he said. "why did you come over I thought you are meeting at your house?" I said. He sat in the chair in front of me. He said "I felt like you ain't going show up matt, I knew you weren't all that happy at the shop earlier"

I put my hands in my face knowing what I looked like when I cried after Bristol that one year. "I don't know what to do Aj, I lost my ride because of her, I do everything for her. She gets mad if I do the smallest thing. She left me alone at my house again like she did back in 2019. She told me if I don't have a ride she was going to leave me and start her life ov-" I said but he cut me off. "that doesn't sound like she loved you for who you are Matt, it sounds like she wasn't there for love instead for fame". I couldn't believe what he was saying but he was right she never cared about my opinions or what I did for her. I lost my ride because of her and she didn't encourage me it was ok she only got angry about it. I started to cry, Aj got up and hold me, telling me it was ok. I started to feel confused but safe and warm. I wasn't gay, or I thought I wasn't. Time felt like it stopped like I felt something I haven't felt before. My mind wonder a bit, but I couldn't convince myself to give in knowing I still was committed to her. "Dude, I think there's something wrong with me, I know what my brain is telling me but I don't think my heart is telling the same thing," I said. "matt, your heart was locked up for a long time, you felt trapped but now your heart is finally telling you its ok. You're safe now" he replied. I couldn't fight it anymore so I gave in. The fog, anger, and sadness went away. Then I remembered the ring, I took it off just because I felt happy and I don't want the reminder of her and the bad times. The night went good.

The next morning I woke up knowing what I did. "damn it, she is going to kill me if she found out what I did." I said. She text me and told me it was best for her to stay the weekend at her parents to cool off a bit. Good, she won't find out. But then I realized she hurt me for so long now it's my turn to make her jealous. So I told her that won't be home for the week since I was ride hunting knowing it will give me time to do this plan. She agreed to not turn up at my place. Kansas is the next race so it would be far away from North Carolina. "Aj wake up, you will be late for the race," I said. "matt what happened last night?" he said... I gave him you take a guess look. He gave a shocked look and knew. "matt I wasn't expecting that to happen" he said. "the thing is I wasn't expecting it either but stuff happens...and after years of arguing I finally felt happy for once." I said. Then I told him the plan to make her regret all of the stuff she said in the past. "are you sure you want to do this matt? I mean it's kinda messed up that you are cheating on your wife" he said. "we both cheated at the same time." I said. "fair point but Idk what's going to come out of it when people find out." he said. "aren't you running late to the race?" I said smartly. "you are right well meet you at the track Sunday," he said. He got dressed and left my house.

I looked through my phone and saw a photo, I decided to post it on Twitter. I knew what people are going to say and do but I didn't care.

I am happy now