Astika

The sun began to rise, the sound of a rooster crowing was a sign of the arrival of a new day. The residents of Panglipuran Village are starting to wake up from sleep, some have even gone to the fields or pushed their selling carts. Not long after, the whispers of the gossip of the local ladies were clearly audible when they bought groceries at their favorite selling cart, the salesman who heard it could only shake his head while trying to serve as best he could.

"That's the opposite story with Mbok Astika's family... they just had a baby after four years of Wiwaha " said the mother who was choosing a cake for her child

"That can’t be true right? Maybe they got cursed, how can they only have a baby after four years,” Another lady replied

"I swear I’m telling the truth!"

"Maybe they are afraid of Leak ," added another mother who had finished buying

"Hiyyy, I'm also afraid of them, Lady Priya also saw the creature yesterday in the field," answered the first mother.

"Oh really? Hiyyy...now I’m also frightened, it's still early now too”

"She said their tongue was long to their chest, then their nails were very long and sharp, their eyes were also red... red as blood" The mother explained with fear.

I walked past them with my head down, hoping they didn't notice that the subject of their gossip was walking behind them all along. I have to go home soon, Aji and my husband are always worried if I, who is pregnant, walk alone. I stroked my belly lovingly, finally after four years of marriage, God gave our marriage a baby who is now 5 months old.

"Gek is home..." I said as I entered the house

"Matur suksma to God... how are you doing? Are you okay? Do Gek feel dizzy? Need a drink? Need a seat?” My husband, I Made Anuraga, immediately led me inside

“Gek is fine Bli... just need a drink. Let's help Biang cook"

My husband nodded with a smile while continuing to make sure I was okay.

From the very beginning of my pregnancy, our house became filled with all kinds of black magic repellents: Moringa leaves hung on every doorknob, onions and salt lined up under my bed, twin bananas in every room, and Biang always reminded me to take a flower bath once a week.

After finishing cooking, I called Aji to have breakfast together, then we continued our activities until the sun went down. After all my work was done, I decided to go to my room and sleep early without Bli, he said he would be home late because he had additional business with the people from the next village. Biang and Aji also seem to be getting ready for bed. I tried to go around the room one more time to make sure all the repellants were correct according to the instructions.

"Oh no...the moringa leaves are wilting...," I said while holding the doorknob, "Usually Bli would come out and replace the moringa leaves, but he hasn't come home yet...,"

These Moringa leaves are hung on the doorknob so people in the room are not disturbed by spirits or black magic, the Moringa leaves that are hung have to be an odd number, but what I have in my hand now is only 4 stems. Not wanting to take any chances, I got out of the room and walked towards the back gate that led to the vegetable garden, the sun had just set so there was still a little light to accompany me, the torches around were also burning brightly.

"Maybe Gek will take three of them," I said, pulling out three moringa stems

“Awoooooooooo” a dog howl suddenly sounded, I gulped

After getting what I needed, I quickly stood up and started walking. But before I could reach the back gate, my stomach started to ache.

I leaned against the coconut tree, trying to soothe the baby in my stomach. My eyes caught something, six steps in front of me, a shadow without legs, hovering above the ground, long nails dangling, accompanied by long white hair and red eyes. I froze, swallowed hard and tightened my grip on my stomach. Leak, a black magic worshiper who targets fetuses or newborns to eat so they could increase their strength, the Leak looked at me while laughing.