One Plane Ride

Two more hours until I'm off this plane. Two hours until I'll be with my new family for the next year. The fact hits me like a milk truck speeding into an old lady bending down to grab her mail. An hour and fifty-nine minutes until I'm in a new country. 

I'm not as scared as I should. What if they're actually murderers and I was lured just to me killed. How awkward would that be? "Hey there. Let's skip to the part where we brutally murder you. Sound good? Yeah? Cool." That'd be something to explain to my parents. Talk about a humbling moment, trying to explain that they were right about the whole stranger danger thing while being dead.

I try to shift in my seat to get more comfortable but of course my mom bought a ticket in the middle. I'm stuck between two abnormally large dudes. I'd much rather have the aisle seat for many reasons. One being that it's an easy escape from being groped, another is fastest way to the bathroom. 

I grab my phone out of my pocket and play a video(with my cheap wire earbuds). The video is a compilation of vines my friend sent me. I've watched theses more than I can count and I still find myself folding my lips to keep from laughing. I try not to recite the "why is it spicy" vine and almost fail. The guy in the aisle seat looks at me. Not in the good kind of way, but more of 'what the hell is wrong with this girl?' kind of way. 

I look at him and offer him an earbud. Surprisingly, he takes it. When the video's over we talk to each other using the notes app on our phones( for some reason on planes and car rides it's really hard to hear). I learn that the guy's name is Frank and he's on his way back to the UK, where I'm headed. He's twenty four and his wife is about to have a baby. 

Before you could say jalapeno, the plane starts the landing process. 

When the plane's completely landed, I follow Frank out of out mini section. "I'm super nervous now. Should I be this nervous?"

Frank laughs. "I think it's normal."

"I'm going to be honest, I thought you'd sound different." I pat his shoulder and grab my carry on. 

Frank laughs. "I get that a lot."

We walk off the plane and just like that, I'm in a new country. I turn to Frank and give him my number. He smiles and puts in in his phone. I look around and find a couple holding a sign with my name on it.

"I think that's you, (y/n)." Frank points. I nod and walk over to them. 

"Don't forget to text me!" I called to Frank.

"How could I forget."

I laugh and meet my new family.

"Are you (y/n) (l/n)?" The woman asks me.

"Yes ma'am." I nod. "May I ask your name?"

"Of course, you can just call us Mr. and Mrs. Simons." Mrs. Simons says. 

"Okay. Is this the entire family?" I ask.

"Oh, no. We have a son named Tom. He's....just finishing something up at home." Mr. Simons says. It's really vague but I was't going to push for answers.

"Anyways, do you have more luggage?" Mrs. Simons asks, changing the subject.

"Yes. I have two big ones." I nod to the baggage claim.

My phone dings, letting me know that someone texted me. It was my best friend.

(f/n): sooooo how was the flight??????

me: really really long

me: going to pick up my bags and head off w my new fam

(f/n): rly??? who's ur fam???

me: idk some peeps 

me: they have a son at home tho

(f/n): omg!!! that's so cool

(f/n): im watching tommyinnit's stream rn

(f/n): he said that his parents arent home

me: idk who that is

me: is he the really annoying guy??

(f/n): oml did you just call my love 'annoying'???

me: he doesn't even know that you exist

(f/n): gtg and watch my love

(f/n): ft me when you get to ur new house

me: lmao ok

I put my phone away and smile at the Simons. They lead the way to the baggage claim. After claiming my luggage, we head "home".

"I'll show you to your room and you can get settled in." Mr. Simons say when we pull into the driveway.

Mrs. Simons opens the front door and two dogs come running and barking. One fully black and the other tan with some white. "Hello Walter and Betty." Mrs. Simons pets the dogs.

"They're so cute!" My voice rises an octave higher. "Hi babies!" I bend down and pet the dogs.

"Alright, your room is this way." Mr. Simons says, walking down the hallway. I stand up and follow him, my carry on and one bigger suit case behind me. We walk by a door, it was really loud inside. "That's Tom's room. And this is yours." Mr. Simons stops at the door next to Tom's.

"Thank you."

"No Problem." He smiles and walks off.

I take a deep breath and walk inside the room.