four | fortune

i went to see love on tour in san jose omg im suffering from post-concert depression i have a date in two hours and i'm sitting here in unwashed merch listening to fine line and hs1 again

also i'm headcanoning that lavender is muggleborn, not sure if you could tell already.

𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 / 𝐬𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐫 𝐬𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝—𝐫𝐞𝐱 𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐲

𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬—𝐫𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞

Dahlia coughed at the horrible taste of the tea and made a face at it. "Ugh." The entire room was filled with the sounds of her classmates hacking up whatever herbal wonder Professor Trelawney had put in their teacups.

Parvati was already done, sitting in front of her with her hands folded and a beaming smile stretched on her face. Professor Trelawney was taking forever to come around to their table, so they had some time to themselves. "You heard the Professor, right?" she asked Dahlia and Lavender excitedly. Lavender nodded enthusiastically.

"Those were real predictions if I've ever heard one. She's the real deal." Dahlia pursed her lips.

"Yeah, but future-telling, in theory, violates the natural law of free will," she pressed, setting her teacup down with a clink. "The two can't exist in tandem. They contradict each other. I dunno—I think Trelawney's fake." Parvati gasped loudly and pressed a hand to her chest, but Lavender raised her eyebrow in interest.

"The free will bit is true, but counting the theory of the multiverse, it is quite possible that they could both be genuine," she shrugged.

"Well yeah, but it's just that, a theory," she replied, spreading hands in an i don't know gesture. "Depending on if it gets proven, Trelawney's fake, isn't it? And even if there was a multiverse, wouldn't that imply hypothetically that there were only two universes, which is automatically untrue based on the principles of the theory itself? And let's not forget the entire existence of 'unfogging the future'—" she mocked, referring to their Divination book. "—violates the linearity of time, which is a natural law in itself."

"I dunno," answered Lavender, a glint in her eye. "It could be that we're seeing the outcome of our choices based on our free will in the future. I mean, we're taking lessons in a magic school. Plus, why would Dumbledore hire her?" By now, Parvati (who was not a muggleborn or raised by muggles) was looking back and forth between the two like she was watching a tennis match.

"But that implies having another infinite number of outcomes, and seeing the future is seeing the one that you are on track to. And don't get me started on Dumbledore," she scoffed. "I don't think someone who witnessed World War 1 should get to decide what's good for teenagers. He's experienced, I'll give him that."

"Yeah, but that's exactly why he should be headmaster," argued Lavender. "His age combined with his teaching experience makes him perfect for the job."

"But since when does a headmaster have to be old to run Hogwarts?" questioned Dahlia, amused.

Lavender shrugged helplessly. "I don't—"

"Girls!" Professor Trelawney appeared next to Dahlia and Lavender, scaring them so bad that they flinched and knocked their knees on the low tables. An impossibly wide, very forced grin stretched the corners of her mouth. "Hello. I am Professor Trelawney, Seer and descendent of Cassandra Trelawney, the celebrated, famous Seer of the Wizarding World.