hanahaki.

a/n: trigger warning for death? that's mostly it though.

ALSO, your character will use they/them pronouns and gender neutral terms. my fan fictions are not to be gender assigned and they will only ever be gender assigned if any specific request comes in or if it's a character x character fan fiction. i do this to make my reading audience comfortable and not uncomfortable or invalid with gendered terms. everything is gender neutral :)!

here are some songs i recommend to listen to though while reading this one shot though!

i love you so - the walters
drifting away - mars bars
not allowed - tv girl
first love / late spring - mitski
chamber of reflection - mac demarco
never - mag.lo
dark red - steve lacy
my happy ending - avril lavinge
better than me - the brobecks

THINGS TO KNOW!! :
y/g = your gender
h/c = hair color
e/c = eye color
y/n = your name
l/n = last name

-

Kazuichi POV

Since I first started to attend Hope's Peak Academy I've always admired Miss Sonia! I've spent my own money on buying her things and trying to make her happy! It's not like she asks me though so that's.. kinda my fault. For a couple of months now, Sonia and Gundham have been dating. Officially. Declared a couple. And it hasn't really had the most positive effect on me.. of course it hasn't. I'm in love with a girl who'd never love someone like me back. I suck. I have a useless talent, I don't even look nice 99% percent of the time. Unlike Gundham, he has a cool talent, always looks clean and fresh, and most likely has everything I don't. I can see why Sonia would like him. When they started to date, Mikan suggested it was best to stay away, so I did. I didn't bother her. I admired her from afar, but no longer bothered her anymore nor stuck around her side to help her. She had a boyfriend now so what's the use?

A few weeks ago, I had this tight feeling in my chest. Not like the jealousy or just.. that burden feeling. It hurt. It hurt so bad. I choked up into a coughing fit and nothing would help, that of course is when I felt something come up my throat, yellow flowers falling out of my mouth with blood spots mixed with them. There was yellow flowers coming out of my mouth. Holy fuck. I guess you can say I visited a doctor quickly with the help of Ibuki, she drove me while I kept coughing up stupid flowers. When we arrived I was diagnosed with this wack disease. Something called Hanahaki? It's where the burden of loving someone who doesn't love you back is so bad where a root grows inside of you, slowly taking over your insides. You could have it removed, but it would end up having you hate the person you once loved the most. I couldn't do that, I couldn't do that to Sonia. I let it grow inside of me, at first it was easy to maintain, I didn't cough much nor was it even noticeable. However, it's been 6 months. I can't go an hour without coughing badly. Each time I inhale, I exhale out roses of yellow. The pain gets more unbearable each day and I just can't take it anymore. I'm gonna die.

TIME SKIP

I'm at school right now, my eyebags noticeable as I was pale and skinny, looking like crap. Only Ibuki and Mikan were aware of my situation, Ibuki staying by my side always. She was like my moral support, always comforting me and making sure I was okay. Today she didn't come though, she was sick and I wanted to go to her house to see if she was okay but she insisted it was fine. I was dizzy and lightheaded, my head down as I walked into class. I was greeted by many and then Sonia. "Souda! Good Mor-!"

Sonia POV

I didn't even get to greet him properly, he collapsed in front of me and Gundham. Truthfully, I've been concerned about him. He's looked ragged these past few months and now he's passed out? Everyone was concerned, especially Mikan. She yelled out for everyone to move and immediately called an ambulance. Was Kazuichi sick? Did he have something I didn't know he had? Mikan was rushing to his care.. I went to Gundham as he wrapped his arms around me. "Tanaka-San.. I'm getting worried.." I said to him. "Don't worry my dark empress, the mortal is merely ill." He said and kissed my forehead which made me blush. Maybe he is okay after all!