'Shake Date - Part Four

___________

"Why did you throw my number away?"

___________

I sat there, silently, holding my breath.

How could he have known that? How could he have possibly known that I tossed his number in the trash? Did he follow me home? Was he watching me through my window or something? There couldn't have been any other explanation. He somehow saw what I had done. He saw me crumble up his note and throw it away without a second thought.

My nails gripped into my arms, and my breathing hitched. An indescribable sense of fear began to take over my body. I was scared; more scared than I had ever been before. I could feel myself trembling as I sat there, sunken down in that diner booth. The world around us seemed to pause, my attention solely fixed on the figure in front of me. His unblinking eyes stared into mine from across the table, those blue hues as cold as fallen snow. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. I couldn't do anything.

'TK, I need you. I need you to come back.' My mind begged in desperation. I frantically looked around the room, my eyes darting back and forth as I surveyed my surroundings. I was looking for someone, anyone, who could help me get out of this. But, to my disappointment, I was completely alone. There wasn't a single person in the dining room besides me and Peter. And although my internal instincts were screaming at me to run away, I couldn't. I couldn't move a single muscle.

I knew my initial impression of this stranger was right.. I should've listened to my subconscious in the first place. Now, because I chose to give this creep a second chance, I was stuck in this situation with no sign of a way out. All I could do was stare ahead, too terrified to utter a single word. I felt completely defenseless.

Peter looked at me, and suddenly smiled an awkward grin. That creepy expression dissapeared again, his eyes softening and his lips drooping a bit. I stared at him, confused, as silent as a sinner in church.

"I mean, I'm assuming that's what happened, anyway. Why else wouldn't you have called?"

I paused, swallowing the hard lump in my throat.

He was guessing? A terrifyingly accurate guess, but.. still a random guess nonetheless, right? I exhaled softly, relief washing over my body and making me relax once again. I needed to stop doing this.. Letting my mind run wild with unrealistic accusations of something that would never happen. It was perfectly understandable to assume I had thrown his number away, so It wasn't weird that he would've guessed as much. God, what was wrong with my head today..

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, shurgging my shoulders a bit, "Like you said, you can come off as a bit... intimidating. That's why I didn't call or text you. I also didn't think I'd ever see you again, to be honest."

He leaned back in his seat, nodding his head. "Fate is funny like that."

I tilted my head. Fate?

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the door to the kitchen suddenly swing open; TK walking out with two delicious looking milkshakes in each of their hands. It wasn't coffee, sure, but.. This was so much better! They were both chocolate; put together with all the yummy fixings. Whipped cream, caramel syrup, and a beautiful red cherry sitting on the top. Unlike the digusting sludge the other cooks served to the customers, TK actually put time and effort into what they sent out. Especially if it was for me. I had walked into the kitchen once as they were making a shake for my break, and found that they were running around like a manic. They needed the perfect ice cream. The perfect whipped cream. The perfect cherry. They put so much effort into something so basic, just to make me smile.