The Five Great Houses Of Norad

The dust had settled on Norad - a planet buried within the stars - amongst the houses. After days of battling, countless bloodshed now stained the soil. Today was the day the houses were willing to put all the war behind them and start anew. Today was the day the first peace treaty amongst the houses was going to be signed. Five houses - Alixar, Raventra, Fortmore, Pillar, Bormora -, all birthed in war and hatred for each other. All of them had fought for power, control of the other houses, but they all were strong. They all had great warriors who were willing to put their lives on the line for their houses, for their families.

I wasn't one of those warriors. I was the son of Edgar Alixar, leader of the House of Alixar. I was not ready for war, but war had been a part of my life for years. All around seemed to be war. Someone was always fighting for something. Father tried his hardest to keep me from the war, because I was his successor. When it came his time to say goodbye to this life and lay with our ancestors, I was to take his place. I was to be leader of the House. And because of that, it was his mission to keep me safe.

This treaty... This was all to make sure that when it came my turn, I could rule in peace and live a long life, longer than my father. Probably.

"You shall not speak if you're not spoken to, Akani," my trainer Lordred told me. We were in the giant waiting room of Central - the place of all discussion. It was a giant skyscraper, meeting the clouds. "This is a meeting for men. So let the men speak."

"I know what is expected of me, Lordred. You need not to remind me every time you speak." I didn't mean to be mean. Lordred had strict orders from father to treat me according to who I was, and that meant that we didn't smile with each other. It was always a matter of business and orders.

My Z-Ford - a technological device embedded into my left arm - notified me that I had an incoming message. I already knew who it was from.

I stood. "I'll be back in five minutes," I announced. Lordred acknowledged with a nod of his head.

Swiping my index finger along my wrist, a portal to the location of my desire opened before me. I stepped into it and it took me to the bedroom of Paul Raventra. It was dangerous for me to be there, but the connection that Paul and I had built made us do foolish things that could've compromised the entire peace treaty if our fathers knew.

"Paul? Is there something wrong?" I asked.

He was standing by his bed, back facing me, half naked. He turned around and held up two shirts. "Which one do you prefer?" He asked.

I smiled. "The red suits you better. But you do know that it wouldn't matter because you'll be wearing armour?"

"I just wanted to see you."

He walked over to me and kissed me before he got dressed.

***

Paul was a warrior. He fought because in his father's eyes, he was a man who was ready to fight wars. Paul on the battlefield frightened me.

"Houses, Leaders, Council, today we are gathered to witness the first ever peace treaty signing amongst the five great houses," Head Council member Hanzel spoke to the audience. "Today, Leaders, you sign to put the past behind us and move forward with peace and tolerance. This historic day will forever be remembered and will create a brighter future for our next generation of leaders." Mother squeezed my shoulder as the crowd gave a light applause.

The five leaders of the great houses stepped forward around the table where the treaty laid, their successors at their sides.

My stomach was turning with unease. I got the strange feeling that something was about to go horribly wrong, that this all was maybe some trick concocted by one of the other houses.

Paul looked my way, and in his eyes he was telling me to breathe.

His father signed first, and then the others went.

Father's signature remained unsigned. When it came his turn, he looked at me, eyes brimming with hesitation. Is father going to-

"No more war, Akani," he whispered to me before signing the treaty.

Cheers and applause followed, and the five leaders took turns in shaking each other's hands.

Paul shook father's hand and smiled at him. He then came to shake my hand and he smiled at me, while rubbing his thumb against the back of my hand.

The war was over.