DAISY

One shall know that life was not meant to be easy, but that doesn’t mean one cannot survive. He knows how hard a life is for a peasant, and he live it well. Theodore loved flowers so much that he also loved the bees and butterflies, but here he is sowing the seed of wheats that didn’t have flowers.

“Mom, Dad, I’m done with my row!” says the young boy with huge spirit, he had worked many rows of the field in full speed and is smiling as if asking for compliment.

“Good job, son. Now you can play with your friends.” The father said after patting the boy’s head, leaving traces of dirt on his hair. He didn’t care about it and happily run to the valley where he usually plays.

Upon his arrival, the sky is still bight, with carpets of tall green grass everywhere. One could see a big oak tree in on the midst of the green grasses, standing alone, faraway from the other trees. He took steps nearing the tree before realizing he almost stepped on a small patch of ox eye daisies.

“Oops, almost stepped on you.” He said while touching the small petals, letting out a sweet little giggle. Before he realized there’s another shadow nearing.

He raised his head and beamed while waving his hand when he saw who’s coming.

“Philip! Are you here with the lambs?” he asked with a smile, but the boy called Philip just stare at him without saying anything.

“Uh, Philip?” he asked again, this time with a little bit of hesitation. But this time the other boy opened his mouth.

“Oh, sorry Theo. I just spaced out a little. What are you doing?” he answered awkwardly.

“I was about to go to the old oak tree but, look what I found!” he said happily while showing the little patch of flowers.

“Daisies? Betty likes them.” Philip said with a wondering face.

“Who’s Betty?” Theodor asked, but the answer made him almost freak out.

“A batch of cattle came in from neighboring country, there’s a new sheep called betty that keeps chewing flowers from the garden. We ended up feeding her some wildflower, including daisies.” Philip answered.

“Never show that monster to me.” Theodor answered with a bead of sweat trickling from his forehead.

“Of course, why would I? but if you like something, better keep them near you.” Philip said with a weird smile. Theodor pondered a little before looking at him again.

“Would you help me?” he asked, looking with pleading eyes.

“Alright, alright. Where should I dig?” he asked while scratching his head.

~*~*~

After the long session of digging the two of them successfully moved the small patches of daisies near the old oak tree.

“This time they live further from your sheep’s feeding area.” Theo said with smug expression drawn on his dirt smeared face.

“Smart brat.” Philip said while ruffling his head, they laugh as the sun started to tilt towards the west.

They could hear rustling noise coming from the field behind them before they saw familiar red locks popped out from the midst of green grasses.

“Alfred!” the two of them exclaimed, startling the boy hiding in the grasses.

“You found out.” The boy named Alfred pouted, as he jumped out to tackle Philip, only to end up being pinned against the earth.

“Well, I guess there’s really no way I could beat you in the terms of fighting.” Alfred says while trying to break free, but Philip remained there staring at him, unmoving.