Chapter One: The Vacancy

"Absolutely not!" 32-year-old police Inspector Zhao Yunlan stood up and began to pace.  His superior, Superintendent Wu, watched him calmly.

"It wasn't a question," he said.  "Ever since Chong Bin left, your department has been missing someone with behavioural forensic experience.  And that's not my opinion.  It's a fact."

Zhao Yunlan ran his fingers through his messy hair in frustration.

"I'm not saying you're wrong.  I'm just saying that I don't think this is the best option.  You know how I feel about my people.  It took me a long time to put this team together.  I can't just bring someone in without knowing anything about them."

Superintendent Wu sat forward, sensing an opening.

"That's exactly why I'm suggesting this.  Think about it for a second.  If we bring in an external consultant, it's not permanent.  You can feel each other out, so to speak, and if it doesn't work, no harm done.  Just go your separate ways."

Zhao Yunlan threw himself back into his chair, and before he even said another word, Superintendent Wu knew instinctively that he had won this particular battle.

"Fine."  The younger man rubbed his eyes.  "But the decision on if, and when, he goes is mine.  No questions asked."

"That works for me.  Just be sure to give him a proper chance.  You won't find anyone more qualified, I can assure you.  In fact, he will be assessing you as much as you are him."

Zhao Yunlan waved an arm dismissively.

"Whatever.  You know me.  I'm not exactly a saint, but I pride myself on judging people fairly.  I'll give the guy a shot, but I'm warning you, my standards are high."

Surveying the scruffily dressed man slumped haphazardly in the chair opposite him, Superintendent Wu just barely managed to supress a snort of amusement.  Instead, he raised an eyebrow.

"Indeed.  I can tell just from looking at you."

Zhao Yunlan wisely chose to ignore the undercurrent of sarcasm in his superior's voice.

***

Shen Wei turned back from where he had been furiously scribbling on the whiteboard and allowed himself the luxury of a quick glance around the room as he adjusted his glasses.  Thankfully, no one was asleep.  In fact, all of the class looked fairly engaged.  That was the benefit of teaching a graduate subject, he supposed.  They were all there through choice, rather than because their parents had forced a university education onto them.

He frowned.  There were as many laptops as there were students in the room.  Suddenly, his whiteboard seemed rather archaic.  Still, it wasn't his fault that he disliked technology.  He specialised in human beings, after all.

He glanced at his watch.  Three minutes before the hour.  He smiled.

"Class dismissed.  We'll pick this up again next time.  Read chapter nine before then, please."

He reached for a pile of papers and swept them into his briefcase in a single, well-practised motion.

At 31 years old, Shen Wei had already built a name for himself as one of the foremost experts on behavioural analysis in Dragon City.  It had not been a deliberate bid for fame.  On the contrary, the psychology professor was more inclined to shy away from the limelight.  However, unfortunately for him, his seniors at Dragon City University were not averse to shameless promotion if it brought more fee-paying students their way, and Shen Wei was young, talented, and extremely handsome.  The perfect poster boy.