Tears

Trigger Warning: Explicit details of death of a child.

Word prompt: Tears.

————————————

Previously on The Pink TuTu...

A knock on the front door stops Spencer from speaking.

They both head over to it, thinking it is one of the girls, or maybe Caleb or Toby stopping by.

Aria pulls it open, and her heart stops.

It is a police officer.

Could it be? Could this be the moment?

"Mrs. and Mrs. Montgomery-Hastings," He begins. "My name is Officer Thomas; I have been assigned your daughter's case."

He pauses, waits for a response, and when he does not get one, he says, "I am so sorry, but I am going to have to... to ask you to-"

He tries to keep a straight face, to be professional about this request, but is failing miserably.

"I am going to have to ask you to come down to the station; we may have found your daughter's body."

It's the words they have been longing for, for 3 years, but they don't sound right.

No, it should not be "we found your daughter's body", it should be "we have located your daughter, she is safe and alive."

At least, that is what is running through Spencer and Aria's minds, as they go down to the morgue, to look at the body on the coroner's slab, and get a glimpse of an old, dirty, and ripped...

...pink tutu.

————————————

Aria is the one to break.

They are on the other side of that glass window. The one they always see in the movies or cop TV shows.

The ones where the mom and dad stand, and the Coroner pulls the blanket back and then there are tears and screaming and...

It's Aria who breaks first.

The pink tutu...

The. Pink. TuTu.

Goddamnit.

Spencer catches her and is vaguely aware of the police officer tapping on the window. She suspects it is a cue to Coroner to cover Rosie's decaying body back up.

At least, that is what it means in the movies.

Spencer has no words. All this time, Aria has been her rock, although there have been, only in the last year and a half, several times that Aria has broken down, and Spencer gets to play the strong one.

This is one of those times.

They fall and the older girl adjusts them so she is sitting on the floor, with her wife, the love of her life, curled up in her lap. Beneath that fucking window.

The window that is the only thing separating them from their daughter.

From their daughter's dead body which is only recognizable because of that goddamn fucking pink tutu.

She whispers sweet nothings, because what can she say to make this better?

She has no idea how long they stay there, only that, eventually, Aria's sobs subside and...