chapter 1

Y/N = your name

3rd POV

Having arrived all the way from Orlando, Moralton was quite different in about every aspect for y/n. The humidity, the size, the clothes, and even the people. She chose to stay in Moralton because it served as a nice resting spot right in the middle of her journey, and she also had a thing for small, quaint towns. In fact, she was raised in a settlement like this one until her parents found a new job on the coast.

After getting settled into her new apartment, y/n decided that it was a good of a time as any to check out the church and meet some of the members. She had always been a heavily invested Christian, so this was practically the first thing on her to-do list.

Y/n awoke at dawn, and put on her best button up blouse for the occasion. First impressions are extremely important in making new acquaintances, especially since she was planning to stay here for a few months, and getting to know the townsfolk may come in handy.

At around 10:00 AM, she drove herself to the pointed building in the distance. It wasn't too hard to find, with its slanted architecture standing out from everything else.

As y/n creaked open the large wooden doors, she noticed that many of the rows were already filled with people of all different appearances. It was a bit overwhelming, she didn't want to bother anyone by inviting herself to a seat.

Y/n sighed, and chose the second to last row where a pretty looking woman sat with two others on her left. It seemed like none of them knew eachother, so it slightly eased her worries of intruding on some poor family.

She slid into the compact benches, and got a better look at the lady next to her. She had short black hair, a pink and white striped dress, black heels, and a white belt tied around her waist. Y/n considered her to be very pretty, but nothing more than that. Although she was a lesbian, she didn't want to get too attached to anyone here, since she wasn't planning to stay for long.

The woman caught her staring, and caused y/n to quickly look in the opposite direction, sparking a bit of awkwardness between the two. A little conversation wouldn't hurt, y/n thought.

"That dress is beautiful. Where did you get it?" She swiftly turned her head to y/n, obviously not expecting her to talk, but forced a small grin anyways. "Just from a clothes shop downtown. Their selection is really nice,"

Y/n was taken aback by the low, monotone voice that came out of such a stunning girl. It didn't bother her, but the shock must've shown on her face, because the woman opposite of her blushed and looked down at her lap, clearly embarrassed. "Ah, I see," y/n scooted closer, holding eye contact. "So, whats your name? I'm a little new here, if you couldn't already tell,"

She raised her head and gazed at y/n once more. "Alice. What's yours?" "Y/n, its nice to meet you. I hope you don't mind me tagging along here, heh," There was a nervous pause, but Alice seemed to lighten up a bit and reassured y/n. "You're fine, don't worry. It's nice to have company, especially since I don't really get much of that anymore,"

"You live alone?" Y/n asked, her curiosity at its peak. "Well, no, but-" Just then, the priest, Reverend Putty, began his sermon in a loud voice that hushed the crowd. The duo nodded at eachother, silently agreeing that they should finish this conversation elsewhere.

-

After the service, everyone filed out of the church in a neat order, from the front row to the back. Alice and y/n were near the last to exit, and once they felt the crisp December air touch their skin, they parted ways and walked towards the sidewalk where rows of cars lined the scene.