Seven Years.

I realized I was gaining consciousness when I started to hear an incoherent voice beside me

I realized I was gaining consciousness when I started to hear an incoherent voice beside me. At first, I couldn't make out who it was talking to or what the person was saying but then slowly when the fog in my brain cleared, I could make sense of everything around me.

It was my dad's voice. He was talking about his day casually like we used to converse. I don't remember the last time we spent time together. I tried to open my eyes to respond, but it felt so heavy and the dull ache all over my skull didn't help me either. A moan escaped from me, and I guess that made him notice me.

"Deva! Deva! Can you hear me? It's Dad." I heard my dad trying to gain my attention, calling my name nervously, or was it excitement? I tried to lift my hand hoping to let him know that I did hear him since I couldn't open my eyes yet but I don't know if it worked. I couldn't feel my hand or my body except for some tingling sensation all over.

With so much effort, I opened my eyes only to close them again due to sudden exposure to light. It took me a minute to accommodate the light and the sounds around me. I kept hearing a beeping sound somewhere above my head. Once my vision cleared, I saw my dad standing beside me and calling my name with an expectant look.

I tried to move my lips but then I realized there was a tube entering my mouth which made me uncomfortable. I grimaced and started to move uncomfortably. As time passed, the sensation all over my body returned slowly. By then I could lift and move my fingers on my limb.

"It's okay, Deva. Don't move. I am going to call the doctor. Don't worry." My dad assured me with a warm smile and walked away from me. As he did, I saw my brother coming in from somewhere and watched me with a smile.

In an hour or so, all the tubes from my body were removed, and I was left alone with my dad and my brother after the doctor did a full check-up and asked some questions. My movements were restricted a bit but the doctor assured me that it was quite normal for the patient who has been in the bed for so long and told me that I would be moving around like before in no time with the help of some physiotherapy. Overall, the doctor and my family were happy that I was awake and responding well.

My brother, Sam, and my dad stayed with me all day after that. They were watching me like some kind of miracle happened and took care of me like I was brittle. I knew that was how you were supposed to take care of a patient with a mild brain haemorrhage and multiple fractures all over the body but it felt like there was something more than that.

"So how long have I been out?" I asked my father when we were finally left alone in our hospital room. I was really curious about something.

Earlier, when my father was talking with the doctor outside the room, I got bored and read my case sheet that was kept on the bedside table. As I said I had a hemorrhage and multiple fractures but I didn't see any bandages or cast on my body. For a fact, I felt alright except for the stiffness in my body. Whenever I tried to ask my doctor about it, he tried to evade it saying something else, assured me that we would talk all about it eventually, and asked me to take a rest as much as I could.