Chapter 1: Pt1- Introduction

Ever since I could remember, I had taken care of reptiles. Lizards, snakes, turtles, chameleons, crocodiles, geckos, you name it. I've even housed some animals that aren't in your average herpetology books. Winged lizards, screeching iguanas, all of these animals I've been able to discover and take care of. But I haven't done it alone. I've had my father to help me as well. My father is Dr.Montgomery Montgomery, the world renown herpetologist. I want to be just like him when I'm older. I want to travel the world to discover new reptiles, I want to give speeches, and show everyone that I can be just as good as him. But for now, I live in a mansion with him and our reptile collection in the countryside.

"Mella? Mella!" I look up from my book to see my father running into the reptile room. "Yes?" I question, wondering what my father is so excited about. "Do you know what today is?" I shake my head. "It's Lyle the Lizard's birthday!" he squeals, holding up a large green lizard. I laugh and shake my head at my father's child-like manner. I hand a small bug to Lyle as my 'birthday present' to him and smile as he looks at it for a moment before eating it whole.We both laugh for a minute when I glance at the window to see the mailman driving away from our house. "Monty, I'm going to go get the post." I tell him as I walk out. I throw on a light blue sweater over my pastel green dress and start the walk down our very long driveway. I grab the mail and head back into the house. I hand the mail to Monty and sit back down where I was reading. "Anything new?" I ask. "Well, the Herpetological Society wants me to give another presentation, the water bill just came in and the other one I haven't opened yet." he says. I just nod and go back to my book.

A few minutes later, I look up from my book to see my father looking very surprised yet happy at a letter. "What is it?" I ask him. He takes a seat next to me and sighs. "So do you remember the funeral we went to a few weeks ago for Bertrand and Beatrice?" he says, getting a little sad. "Of course I do." I get slightly sad as well. The Baudelaires were like family to me and it broke my heart to hear about the fire. "Well apparently, in their will it stated that their children would come to live with us if anything were to happen to them." He says, regaining his excited look. "Wait, really?" I smile, getting excited. "That's great Monty!" I knew Bertrand and Beatrice had children, but I never got the chance to meet them. Now they would get to live with us. I felt really bad about them losing their parents, I can't even imagine losing Monty. But, I know there was no other place that their parents would want them to be.

About a week had gone by and Monty gave me the task of getting the Baudelaire's room ready for them. After searching through the attic and finding a bunch of old furniture, I put two large beds in the room and a pretty yellow baby bed in the corner for Sunny. I was quite proud of the room. But me being the extra person that I am, I put a bulletin board with paper and sketching materials on one wall for Violet. On the other wall, I put a small book shelf with some books I thought Klaus would enjoy. And in the crib, I put a rattle and several teething rings. Beatrice and Bertrand told me all about the children's interests and I thought this would fit them well.

 I just hoped they would like it here. 

A/N: Hello fellow asoue lovers! This is one of my first book so sorry if there are any mistakes or slow updates. Otay, that's all.

 <3