Chapter One

Hello Lovelies! I know I have a ton of stories that need updating, but I just couldn't resist indulging this little muse that keeps bugging me, especially with this being the Holiday season! I don't know about you, but I love Christmas and The Santa Clause is definitely a favorite! 

This story will be a slowburn and eventual Bernard Evergreen x OFC. I do want to add that I don't own The Santa Clause or any of the characters found within the movie. I only own Tinsley Winterborn

I also want to thank @LlamaLoyd for the absolutely gorgeous cover art! If you haven't read any of her stories, please go check out her library. She's absolutely amazing and her fics will leave you on the corner of your seat! 

And now, on to the story! 
...................................................................................................................................................

"Nutcrackers!" Tinsley cursed under her breath as she pulled a pan of charred gingerbread men from the large oven, the cookies black and burned to a crisp. They wouldn't be fit for anyone to eat, much less look at. After all, no amount of icing in the world could make them presentable. Sighing, she dumped the cookies into the trashcan before setting the baking sheet down with a huff. This was the 7th batch just this day that she had ruined, not that she was counting.

"Another batch, Tinsley? At this rate, we won't have any cookies prepared for the Christmas Festival!" The head baker scolded. "I don't mean this unkindly, but have you ever considered the fact that the bakery might not be where you belong?"

Tinsley slumped against the counter top, crossing her arms as a discouraged expression appeared on her face. "I'm beginning to think I don't belong anywhere, Holly." She muttered. "I can't make toys, I'm no good with gift wrapping, tech doesn't want me anywhere NEAR Santa's sleigh, and baking? Well, you can see the pile of burned cookies I ruined for yourself." She pointed at the trashcan.

Holly gave the young elf a look of sympathy as she moved to the stove to start a kettle of water. Tea seemed to be just what they needed. "Now, Tinsley, that's not true! You have your talents, you just have to learn what they are."

"Oh, I know what my talent is, but there's no place for it here." She mused, thinking of the shelves of yarn and crochet hooks she had in her room. "Not job wise, anyway. No one needs to crochet sweaters or hats by hand when it can be done in a quarter of the time by magic. And I can't argue with that. It's not efficient, but it's the only thing I'm good at."

"Well.." Holly said as she reached for two teacups, setting them on the counter before adding a bag of peppermint tea to each one, "You do come from a long line of crocheter's and knitters. I'm not surprised you're so talented with it. But that doesn't mean you're not good at anything else. You just need to give yourself a chance and take the time to learn. You'll get the hang of baking sooner or later, I'm sure of it." The head baker poured steaming hot water in each cup before handing one to Tinsley.

"I'm not so convinced..." The younger elf replied, smiling halfheartedly. "But, I'm not one to give up. And I'm certainly not going to let a gingerbread man defeat me." She giggled a bit, taking a sip of the tea.

"Well, you'd better put that cup of tea down and get to work then, we don't have time to lose! Christmas is in two days!"

Tinsley jumped at the sound of the new voice, dropping the steaming cup of tea from her hands. The cup clattered to the floor, shattering as the tea spilled out onto the tile. With a gasp, she knelt down to clean the mess, knowing exactly who the voice belonged to.

"Bernard, we have plenty of time to get the cookies made for the festival." Holly said with a hint of annoyance edging at her tone. "But we won't if you keep startling my workers! As you said, we don't have time to lose and at this rate, we won't have any more tea cups either."

"Tea cups? Tea cups are the least of my worries!" The Head Elf cried in exasperation before going off on a rant about Christmas and the apparent lack of time.

By now, Tinsley had the broken pieces of ceramic picked up and was working on mopping tea from the floor. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she listened to her supervisor and the Head Elf argue over cookies, deadlines, and everything in between. Tinsley kept her mouth closed though, not exactly wanting to get in the middle of an argument she had no business being in in the first place. She just continued to mop away the peppermint tea and mind her own business. That is, until she heard her name once more, though she wasn't being spoken directly to.

"All I'm saying is if Tinsley can't manage in the bakery, then we need to find another place for her." Bernard said, speaking as though Tinsley wasn't in the room with them. "It's important that every elf is placed in the area that best suits them. I don't know about you, but from what I can see, I don't think it's the bakery."

Tinsley could practically feel her face heating up as the Head Elf's words hit her. Anger rose within her, and even without a mirror she just knew the tips of her pointed ears were as red as her curly hair. Despite the fact that she had just said the exact same thing to Holly, she was less than enthused to hear it come from Bernard. "Now, listen here!" She exclaimed, but her words seemed to fall on deaf ears as the Head Elf continued to speak to Holly.

"We have deadlines to reach, Holly, and not just with the toys. Everything must be perfect for the festival, you know this. Christmas is the most important day of the year, it's the whole reason we exist. We can't have anything or anyone hindering that."

If Tinsley wasn't livid before, she sure was now. "Excuse me, but I can assure you that I'm not nor will I ever be interested in hindering anything. Especially not Christmas or the festival. As far as the bakery is concerned, you won't have to worry about cookie inventory or the negative effect I may or may not have on it...I quit." With that, Tinsley untied the candy striped apron that she wore over her deep green dress, balling it up in a wad of flour covered fabric and tossing it with considerable force at the Head Elf before she stalked out of the bakery. She could hear Holly calling after her, but Tinsley didn't dare turn back, not after the scene she'd made.

"Nutcrackers..." She muttered to herself as she slipped outside into the cold North Pole air. "You'd think at 760 years old, you'd know better than to go off on the Head Elf like that." But of course, this wasn't the first time Tinsley had allowed her temper to get the best of her, nor would it be the last. "I suppose I could apologize. In fact, I probably should."

"You should, but I'm not sure it would do any good...He's really mad."

Tinsley was once again startled from her own little world by an unexpected voice. Glancing to her side she noticed Curtis, the Number Two elf, approaching her. "Oh, I'm sure he is. He's always mad."

"He's just trying to do his job." Curtis explained. "You know, it's not easy making sure the entire North Pole runs smoothly. We have de..."

"Deadlines..." Tinsley interrupted. "I know. I heard. But I'm highly skeptical that a few batches of burned cookies are going to cause the entire operation to go to..well, you know. "

"Probably not." Curtis agreed. "But, you do need to find a job you're good at, somewhere you will be happy...Which brings me to the reason I'm here. Bernard sent me to fetch you. He wants to see you in his office. I'm assuming it's for job reassignment, but I can't completely be sure. If I were you, I'd consider that apology."

Tinsley's eyes widened slightly. "You're kidding, right?"

"Afraid not. Surely you didn't think this would all blow over without at least a reassignment, if not a reprimand? You're lucky he's just mad...I'd hate to see him furious."

A sigh escaped Tinsley's lips as she pushed herself away from the wall she'd been leaning on before brushing her hand over the skirt of her dress to smooth away any wrinkles. "I have a feeling I'm about to see just that." She muttered, offering Curtis a nervous smile. "Oh well, I suppose I'd better get it over with. Wish me luck." And with that, the young elf went off to the Head Elf's office, all the way wondering what her fate would be.