Chapter 1

You needed to keep going, you needed to get away. Nothing was going to stop you, you'd make sure of it, even if you died on the way.

The woods were pitch black, but you knew the way like the back of your hand. The stench of copper clung to you, almost making you want to puke. Your priorities nearly changing, you needed to get the blood off your hands-

You open your eyes, jerking awake into a sitting position, sweat rolling down your face. You stare at the blue-gray wall of your room, trying to calm down.

That damn dream again.

You shake your head and get up, making yourself wash away the sluggish feeling of sleep along with your face. You weren't going to let yourself sleep all day, especially if those nightmares from almost two years ago start reappearing.

Besides, today was Friday. Also known as the day where your self-proclaimed best friend takes you to be social and get groceries whether you like it or not. Only exceptions are when you're sick.

And they can tell when you're lying about your health.

You.. you liked being forced out of your house- that was badly worded, but you liked it when Cilla made sure you got some human contact at least once a week, not that their visits didn't count. The only problem was that you were treated as a pariah in town.

Cilla didn't care about the possibility of being dragged down by being associated with you, though that was because they had too many connections in town and always got back up from any attempts at being pushed out from events and such

They were a resilient person, too bright and shiny to even be pushed away.

You were perfectly aware that they were too good for you. But they wouldn't hear your protests, you were their friend whether you liked it or not.

You start making yourself breakfast, which was just cereal and juice. You were tempted by the sugary treats that are 'hidden' in one of the cupboards, but you're sure that Cilla had probably counted each and every one of them.

They also made sure you ate healthily too, frustrating you with their nagging about how unhealthy your preferred sweets and that you should focus on fruits and berries instead of sugary concoctions.

One couldn't hurt. There's no way they actually counted.

You finished your cereal and were just getting out your yummy treats when your backdoor was kicked -yes, kicked- open, one shiny boot leaving a print on your door.

When the head of inky black hair came into your sight, you could only freeze as you were caught in the act. Their wide grin stiffening as their eyes narrowed at your hand, which held the box of the desirable snacks.

You sigh and your frame drooped in shame as the disappointment showed on their face.

"When I come back in, I better see none of that," they said, pointing at the box, and they backed out of your house, closing the door quietly.

When they came back in, you definitely were not seen with one pastry stuffed in your mouth.

No, those were not crumbs, it was dandruff that was abundant in size. Even though your hair was perfectly clean.

"Fine, one," Cilla said, their tone making you wince and feel a little guilty. They noticed and quickly smiled. "Hey, don't be like that, or else I'll let you eat two."

You're not sure if that's a punishment or a reward.

"Not that I'm saying acting like that means I-I mean, no," Cilla shook their head, "never mind, you don't get two. Acting like that will not let me reward you, even if I mean- never mind, just wipe your face."