"Chapter 1"

Meredith took a deep breath as she turned the corner in the hospital, spotting the surgeon she was looking for having a conversation with a nurse at the nurses station. There was hair twisting and laughing involved and she would surely pay for it later but now was not the time for it. She needed him. Without even thinking she hastily walked up to him and grabbed the front of his scrub top, dragging him away with much confused protest but she ignore him and carried on. She cam across an on call room and opened the door, pushing him in, glad there was nobody inside.

"This is called holding someone hostage" He said with slight annoyance, though his face softened at the panicked expression on hers.

"I have a problem and I need your help" He sat on the edge of the bed, though she paced stressfully.

"I'm pregnant" His mouth dropped open, Meredith burying her head with a pained sigh.

"This is brilliant!" She looked up at him in shock, wondering why he was so happy.

"What?"

"I mean, Derek breaking up with you was horrible but now you guys have something to work for. I mean, now he can stop walking around sulking and making out with nurses" Meredith sat down slowly, her face the opposite to what he was expecting.

"Making out with nurses?" Her mouth was dry, his cringe showing her she was not supposed to know.

"You haven't told him have you?" She shook her head, feeling tears stinging her eyes as she put her head back in her hands.

"I wasn't going to. I was going to move to Mercy West's residency program"

"Oh like hell you are! No you are not leaving Seattle Grace"

"He is clearly moving on and I am not planning on sharing the news any time soon so what else am I supposed to do?" The agony in her voice pained him, the man sitting down next to her. He sighed, grasping her hand as he started to think, wondering what she could do that didn't result in her having the leave the hospital.

"What if you took a year off?"

"I am on my first year of residency, I wouldn't be granted a year off and even if I was I would miss a lot and probably be behind and have to do my boards a year later"

"What if I promised to keep you up to date and you have mentors helping you? Then you would have a year off and wouldn't be behind" She frowned, shaking her head.

"I don't think that would work" He grinned, grabbing her hand and standing her up.

"Watch me work some magic" He opened the door and dragged her out, Meredith protesting loudly as he dragged her down the corridor and into an elevator.

"Where are we going?" He just grinned, them stopping off on the second floor and heading in the direction of the chief's office. Neither noticed the other residents standing watching in confusion, Meredith't protests getting louder catching their attention.

"No what are you doing? This is a bad idea!" She complained, the man stopping outside the office door, turning to her.

"I want you to wait here and not move" The fear on her face never faltered as he knocked on the door, going in, giving her a smile one encouragement before closing the door over. She leaned against the wall in impatience, the thought of everyone finding out getting more and more prominent in her mind as she stared holes into the door. It was another 20 minutes of waiting until the door opened, Meredith shaking her head as he ushered her inside. He groaned and grabbed her hand, dragging her in. The residents stood on the other side of the bridge watching the entire scene unfold. They felt the need to go up to her when she was left outside the office but were more intrigued to watch the conversation between the two doctors inside the room. It was slightly heated before Chief spoke on the phone, his posture slightly more relaxed as the conversation came to a close. It was went she was dragged back into the office they payed their fullest amount of attention, watching as she stood at the back of the room, Chief staring at her.