1 - Steve

The wind hit Dustin's face and breezed through his curls as he skidded to a stop and jumped off of his bike, running up to the Wheeler's front door like there was no time left in the world. He rang the doorbell and put his hands in the pockets of his maroon sweatshirt as he awaited a response. When he received nothing, he pressed the bell again, this time, more than once.

Press.

Nothing.

Press. Press.

Nothing.

Of course, when he needed them most, they wouldn't answer. What a surprise. He stared blankly at the door, silently praying for someone, anyone, to answer.

Press. Press. Press, press, press.

Woah! Still nothing!

Finally, the door opened to reveal his friend's father, Mr. Wheeler. Though he didn't show it, Dustin was disappointed. Finally, someone answers, and it's not the person he needs to see. And he needed to see Mike, but Dustin would have been perfectly fine with Nancy opening the door. At least she's aware of the monsters and interdimensional shenanigans.

But, maybe, just, maybe, they were home. And if they weren't, Dustin wouldn't be too surprised. He decided to start a conversation. A starter to practically begging to see Mike and Nancy.

"Your line has been busy for over two hours, Mr. Wheeler." He sighed, sounding almost desperate. "Do you realize this?"

"Oh, I do realize." Mr. Wheeler nodded, not caring too much about it.

"Is Mike home?" Dustin quickly asked, changing the subject.

Mr. Wheeler replied with a short and simple: "No."

Just as Dustin suspected. He felt the small bit of hope fade away from his body.

"No?" Dustin echoed. "Well, where the hell is he?"

"Karen, where's our son?" Mr. Wheeler yelled over his shoulder.

Dustin raised his eyebrows. He doesn't even know where his own children are? Wow. This guy needs Dad of the Year award. Pronto.

"Will's!" Karen yelled back with an annoyed tone.

Ted turned back to Dustin, "Will's."

Oh, how lovely. "No one's picking up there."

Mr. Wheeler grabbed the door, ready to close it right in Dustin's face. "Nancy." Dustin said swiftly, forcing Mr. Wheeler to keep the door open. "What about Nancy?"

Again, Mr. Wheeler looked over his shoulder to yell for his wife. "Karen, where's Nancy?"

Dustin let out an inpatient sigh. Why did they have to be away from home now? And of course, no one would answer his walkie talkie except for Lucas's sass-squatch of a sister who left him back on his own after about 20 seconds. Was this just his luck? Maybe Dustin should write that down: 'If something really important is happening, no one is going to show up.' Because apparently, that's how it works.

"Ally's!" Karen hollered back. She sounded 10 times more annoyed than before.

"Ally's." Mr. Wheeler looked back at Dustin once again.

Dustin looked away in disappointment. Not only was he disappointed, but now, he was worried.

He just happily picked up a random slug looking thing in his garbage, which turned out to be the same exact thing that tried to kill him and all of his friends last year. Not to mention, it already killed his cat. And what is Dustin supposed to do, just explain to Mike's father that his children are in a life treating situation with a demon from another dimension? Well, technically he could, but that would most likely have two outcomes.