Grief

Angel Kelly was in pain from his family. They never knew when to let go of the past, to move on to a brighter future, or to not bring their child into their pathetic fights.

On their own, they could both be amazing parents, but they were blinded by ever-growing hatred for one another. His parents were never aggressive towards him, although the yelling gave him splitting headaches.

He was terrified, until he found her.

She was the same age as him, her snow-white hair flowing in the wind down near the golden river. It was autumn and the orange leaves were falling around her.

He hesitantly ran over to her, leaves crunching under his sandals in a satisfying pattern. She turned around and her attentive, bright blue eyes met his, they reminded him of a winter moon.

She was standing by the golden lake, shades of orange, yellow and red leaves falling around her, when thundering footsteps approached her from behind. She turned, ready for anything when his eyes met hers.

His empathetic hazel-green eyes reminding her of a blooming spring tree, towering over her small body. His honey brown hair blowing in the autumn breeze.

Luna Clarke, they were each other's first and only friend at 7. She'd forgotten how it felt to have parents. Lavender and Alexander Clarke both died in a car crash a year before she met Angel.

She lived with her aunt Valerie. She wasn't bad, but she worked often and usually wasn't home. When she was home, she was sleeping in her room. Aunt Valerie was 26 when she took in Luna.

Angel and Luna saved each other from the cruel world of loneliness. Both knew they were each other's soulmates. Only Angel Kelly feared this thing called love even with his best friend, especially after his mum, Fern Kelly died when he was 9 from dementia at age 42.

Holden Kelly, Angel's father who was a lonely painter who grew angry and aggressive over the years, he had begun to regularly drink when Angel was 11. When it got so bad that glass bottles were thrown around the room, Angel would sneak out his bedroom window on the second floor of his house.

He'd scamper down the streets to Luna's house with his 3 siblings, sometimes even in the early hours of the morning. She didn't mind, Luna didn't sleep much most nights due to horrifying dreams of the car crash.

The car flipping over multiple times, Luna repeatedly hitting her head. Both her parents seat belts had snapped in 3 places, faulty restraints were the reason she no longer had parents or sisters.

She couldn't blame the car for the accident, her parents were recklessly driving after a family night out involving alcohol.

She still had miniature scars on her legs and stomach, but a large scar ran down from her right shoulder to her lower back. She didn't like showing people the large scar she had, not even Angel knew of it.

When they reached high school at 13, Angel grew distant and reserved. Luna chased after him, silently begging him to talk to her again. She wished he'd show up at her window in the middle of the night.

But he never did.

He threw away her feelings without hesitation. Angel decided that he'd never fall in love with anyone, to save himself from heartbreak.

He was ready to let go of his best friend in order to not be in pain. Luna wasn't too worried, since she knew he'd one day come crawling back to her. It's how Angel worked.

They were both now 16 and although Angel was popular and had many "friends", he was still that lonely 11 year old kid who only had 1 real friend and had to jump out his window in order to survive.

Gianna Undergrove and Camila Jones were just friends with Angel to get in his pants, Treyton Pierce just wanted to be popular and the best way he saw fit was to pretend to be friends with the legendary Angel Kelly.

His only true friend was Rome Madden, who knew about his dad and offered him and his siblings a place to live whenever he needed. Rome had a lot of guest rooms in his house so they gratefully accepted them. They all got along with Rome's family, and if the world ended tomorrow, Angel knew he could trust Rome with his life.

Luna on the other hand only had amazing, supportive friends who knew everything that went down in the past. They were also the only one to know about the scar that traced her back. Though her mind still wondered to the boy who reminded her of spring every once in a while, she had new friends who wouldn't throw her away like she was worthless.

Echo Whitlock, Jaylen Young and Marcelo Huxley. They were kind and had the brightest smiles that warmed Luna's heart, even on dark nights when she couldn't sleep and went through memories of she shared with those closest.

Every now and then, Angel would see Luna. Whether that was at school or even the Golden Lake, where they first met. Never holding eye contact, never exchanging words. Just simple glances between olds friends, fading memories lingering in the cool breeze of winter.

{•••}

"I'm telling you, that TV show I watched was so scary," Camila whines while hanging off Angel's arm, not really paying attention. "Tell them Angel, we watched it together the other day, remember?"

Finally coming back to the conversation he was suddenly dragged into "Huh- oh yeah, it wasn't too bad I guess, you're just soft Cami." That earned him a light punch to his arm.

"Ugh, Camila I swear you never shut up, can't you see I'm busy concentrating over here?" Gianna was obsessed over two things daily, boys and makeup. She could never concentrate on one thing at a time either.

Camila rolls her eyes, they haven't gotten along since both locked onto Angel, they're also not too subtle about it. "At least my face doesn't make onions cry, cake face." All she had to do was smirk and it was the cherry on top to make them start back and forth bickering.

If they had one thing in common, it was their love of bullying. Especially to a certain white haired girl, who happened to walk by at the right moment.

"Just shu- hah look who decided to show up, didn't crash on your way here Luna, how unfortunate for us." Camila knew how to rile people up, gossip had its way of coming back to her, one way or another. It's no secret what happened to Luna's family when she was younger.

Luna never responded, never gave Camila the satisfaction others gave her. She just kept walking, but it hurt. A lot. The mention of her family, the laughs, but mostly how Angel Kelly just sat there and watched, not a single emotion evident in his face.

Gianna and Treyton always snickered under their breaths, although loud enough to be heard among the table.

"Cami, not cool, cut it out." Rome always commented on their sickening behaviour, and everyone listens to Rome.

Camila continued where she left off with a tch, "... and there was this other show I binged watched the other day where this kids dad went totally abusive to his kids after his wife died, I don't know if I could even handle that."

Angel's breath was caught in his throat, he felt like he was suffocating while being stuffed into a small box. World crumbling beneath him as his life was unknowingly explained before him.

"Y'know I read this thing, that if you talk about something bad for long enough, you'll manifest it so just shut up already." While Camila knew how to rile people up, Gianna knew how to make them shut up.

Even after Angel's breathing steadied once Rome's comforting hand was placed on his shoulder. He knew deep down that Luna would never do this to him, even if he didn't want to admit it.

But he's too far gone to be saved even by an angel.