Don't Go Upstairs

Transitioning from memories, passion, and love growth; a young couple moves to a new town they've never been to; one with strange, weird and odd presences. However, the couple, eager and excited to build a new future, along with new beginnings and new folks, finally flips the page.

            Coming from the depth of their loving hearts, the couple prepares a whole bunch of apple pies in which they would introduce themselves and get to know their new neighbors, in hopes of friendships, and guidance; help in discovering the secrets and mysteries of their world; the town they've never heard of. The darkness their hopeful eyes can't see, and their wholesome hearts that only feels the slight positivity that falls beyond that shady town. Afar from the darkness that consumes the towners' eyes. Far away from the evilness and the dreadfulness that characterizes that town.

            Mixing and stirring, baking and cutting, folding and preparing, the delicious pies are lastly produced. Starting off with one single apple pie, performing the deeds of a respectful and thoughtful neighbor. A doorbell ring echoes shaking millions of nerves existent on that stair step.

            Five still and slow seconds pass by until a middle-aged woman opens the door. Her eyes barely open searching for the energy to see the light. The roots of her gray hair growing old and white. Her black handmade dress flowing just below her knees. Until, a fairly sixty-year-old man appears from behind the woman through the darkness, and looks at the shy couple with disgust.

            Their appealing eyes with great tremor and scariness never set any effort on welcoming the young couple into their neighborhood. Only silence that fills the darkness, and stares that consume on fear.

            "Hello! We are the Boons' family, and we've just moved into the neighborhood. My name is Frederick and this is my wife Ashley," Frederick speaks with pure excitement, but all the neighbors do is stare right into their souls.

            "I've made you an apple pie, it's really nice to be here," Ashley pauses for a second. "It is nice to meet you," she stretches her hand to the neighbors.

            The neighbors look at each other, and return back to their house leaving their door wide open. Ashley and Frederick look at each other in misperception and shock, however enter the house anyway.

. . .

            Ashley and Frederick follow the neighbors right into their living room. The neighbors sit on a sofa on the opposite side of the room, next to a large wooden lantern that lit the whole room.

            "Oh, did the electricity go off?" Ashley asks as she and Frederick walk to the sofa facing the one the neighbors are seated on.

            "Lydia, and this my husband Frank," the woman finally spoke without answering Ashley's question. "This is Adeline," Lydia points to a young woman in her twenties, sitting in the corner of the room, bending her legs while she rocks back and forth.

            "Oh, hey Adeline! My name is Ashley and this is Frederick."

            "Don't go upstairs, it'll upset him," Adeline spoke, and kept on repeating the sentence over and over in a whisper. 

            "Is she okay?" Frederick questions the neighbors.

            "She got mental illness," Frank admits.

            "Oh, poor thing," Ashley says sympathetically.

            "You from around here?" asks Lydia.

            "No actually, we've never been here before," responds Ashley enthusiastically.

            "Is it always so quite around here?" inquires Frederick. "We knocked on the neighbors next door but no one was there."