Chapter 22 - In Which They Enter the Funhouse

It was very much the same plan as Bentam and Harriet had earlier done at Mrs. Pinot's home: Bentam would distract the household with paperwork and documents, and the rest would search his home under the guise that they were searching for the restroom. "Are we ready?" Bentam said to the rest as he approached Jon Starr's door.

"Yes," Mittie said, her eyes determined.

Harriet only nodded, her eyes brimming with excitement.

"I surely hope so," Tracey sighed, trying hard to ignore the knots forming in her stomach. She swallowed and shook the feeling away, looking at the door.

Bentam nodded and turned the door's gear handle, starting off its chain of gears. Soon enough, they produced small clouds of steam and finally ended in a familiar 'ting-ting'.

Almost immediately, the door swung open. A familiar tall and slim man stood in the doorway: Hassan, Jon Starr's butler. His eyes locked with Tracey's and narrowed in suspicion. Tracey's mind flashed back to the earlier night at BaldgrassTheatre, where she heard him there with Rollo when Charlie was kidnapped. "May I help you?" he evenly said.

"Yes," Bentam said, stepping forward and holding up a small folder. "I'm here to discuss more on the case of Jon's fraudulent performances."

"We weren't expecting you. I'm afraid that he's busy at the moment."

"May we wait inside? It's rather pressing, and I cannot move this case forward with the High Constable until I can sort this out with Jon."

"I do not mind you coming in, Mr. Berkley, but may I ask why...," Hassan paused to fix a scathing glare on Tracey, "you're bringing guests with you once again?"

Tracey stifled a nervous gulp, instead steadily holding the butler's scowl.

"They're with me on business, once again. Unfortunately, I had to walk and work with this group."

Hassan stared at each of them in turn, his eyebrows knitting as he was deliberating what he should do. Finally, he sighed and stepped to the side. "Come in. I see you've all remembered that Jon does not like dirt or dust, thank you for remaining clean."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Mittie hissed to Tracey, who rolled her eyes in turn.

Tracey barely noticed the grand entryway as they entered into Jon's home. She was instead thinking of their next steps. She hovered back, watching as Hassan ushered Bentam into the sitting room, and looked to Mittie and Harriet. Harriet looked expectantly back to Tracey, and Mittie nodded as if to say she was ready.

"Excuse me," Tracey called out to the butler. He turned around, his eyes squinting in a glare.

"Can I help you?" he frostily said.

"Yes, we've been walking all this time with Bentam, and I'm afraid that we have need of the powder room. Could you direct us to it?"

Hassan hesitated.

"Please, sir?" Harriet said, clasping her hands innocently.

He sighed. "Mr. Berkley, please wait there. I'll get Mr. Starr shortly." He turned back to the group. "Follow me."

As they walked away, Tracey caught Bentam's eye. He held the gaze for a moment, then looked away, bowing his head in a subtle nod. She took a deep breath and followed the butler, willing her steps to push her forward.

Tracey lagged behind the rest as they climbed the grand stairs and entered a spacious hallway. She looked around, noticing the wall art. Along the walls were posters of Jon's previous performances, all of which seemed to feature him in the forefront. Tracey looked at doorway after doorway, trying to imagine where Mr. Porter and Charlie could possibly be hidden away. Behind the forest green door? Or maybe perhaps through the arched entryway, where its contents were shrouded in darkness? "Please keep up," Hassan said, slicing through her thoughts. His eyes seemed to pin Tracey in place. "Is there something of interest to you?"