𝐎𝐍𝐄

1 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

1 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛...

"My shift ends in five minutes. You can wait for me outside," I told my roommate, Zoë, and she nodded.

I was working at the library until six pm, then I would return the next day at one pm for the same shift as before.

They paid me pretty well because it was a prestigious and reputable library, but it wasn't enough to sustain the daily onerous demands of life.

What did I expect though? To receive a million for informing people about where to find a certain genre or charging them for an overdue or damaged book? Well that is pure delusion.

I yawned quietly before putting my black coat on as well as my matching boots. I was wearing a simple but slightly torn black t-shirt and faded jeans. Something I could genuinely afford to wear nowadays.

After my ex best friend left me, I was evicted from the apartment and I had to sleep on the streets for about a week. Pretty convenient if you ask me.

After the gruesome period, I finally found a poster of someone who was looking for a roommate and being me, I obviously paid with the little I had and moved in to the small but cute and tidy apartment.

I loved staying there.

I started working at a small diner for the first three months, then moved to a car-washing garage. That didn't last longer than three days because I hated dealing with perverted men who hadn't gotten some in years.

Then I encountered a lovely job at a small but upper class stationery shop, but the entitled, cosmetic-obsessed manager was very bitchy so that didn't last long either.

After a number of futile attempts, The Heavens heard my prayers then I finally got a stable job at a café, and since they dismissed me after 12.30PM, I decided to get an extra job at the library to back up my funds.

"Sorry I took long. Someone wanted to get their membership renewed," I apologized as I slipped into her beetle.

"It's okay. You sure are hardworking," Zoë smiled as she revved the cranky engine.

"You wish, it's a tough life but I have to do what I have to." I smiled as she drove us home.

Zoë was a lovely girl. She was very shy and reserved, she knew her boundaries when it came to personal issues. Once you really got to know her, she wasn't so quiet.

Zoë was cleaning maniac and was always found either reading a thick literature book, or writing her arithmetical Maths homework. On most occasions, she frequently attended educational lectures at her college.

She was a good and organized girl; she wanted to be independent from her parents so she payed her own rent. Well, we had split the cost so I was also paying.