CHAPTER EIGHT

PHOENIX

       MURMURS WERE HEARD through the entire gymnasium

MURMURS WERE HEARD through the entire gymnasium. Students didn't believe what they saw and others were frozen in awe.

Julie could not handle being on that stage alone any longer so Lee ran up the steps and stood next to her. A guy who was back stage walked out, "Hey, where'd the rest of the band go?"

"Wait. We're those holograms?" Kayla asked from the audience.

The girls on stage shared a quick glance, "Uh, yes. Yes they were. I set them up before the show. I'd explain it but it's really science-y and boring so..." Lee spoke.

"Yeah. Lee, here, plugged it into the ceiling projector. She's all about, uh, algorithms." Both girls nodded as if to convince themselves it was a good enough excuse. The crowd seemed to have bought it when they applauded again.

"Lee, it's your turn." Julie whispered in her ear.

"What? No, this was your chance. Look at Mrs. Harrison. She is clearly proud of you."

"Yeah, and imagine how many people will be proud of you too. You got this," she handed her the mic and slowly walked off the stage. Lee set up the microphone stand and looked around for an acoustic guitar. She found one back stage and even though it might not be hers, it'll have to work.

She started to tune the guitar, trying to ignore the fact that the crowd grew quiet as they watched her set up. She saw from the corner of her eye, Reggie, run up the stage and shake his butt at the audience.

She looked at the boys, who smiled at her. She turned to Julie, who gave her a nod of assurance. Even Carrie couldn't take her eyes off her sister, surprised to see her even standing in front of this many people.

She inhaled sharply before she started to pluck the strings...

"Why you hanging in the background ?
Like a painting that's been turned 'round
Come on, come on, come on, come on

Why you humming with the mashup
It's like Aretha singing back up
Come on, come on, come on, come on
You know the words for write the song"

Her voice could be considered angelic, with a hint of spunk. You could tell that she was an alto, but she can hit high notes if needed.

"Make it loud
It's your time now
Can you feel it now?"

Drums were being hit and there was different parts being played on different guitars. The crowd didn't gasp like before, but they still cheered as Lee opened her eyes and turned around to see the band back on stage with her.

"You got the heart of a phoenix
So let them see you rise, hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey
Let them know that you mean it
Let them see you rise, hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey"