Chapter 1

Shallow, a fox, had grown up in Openskies Harbor. And that meant she had grown up learning to sneak and steal goods from the boats that came in, and the wolves that hung around. But here she was, being taken into a zipboat to take her to Rose City. Her mother said that it was good for her, a new life and a better one. However, she wasn't convinced. Shallow thought she had a good life and friends in the Harbor.

But, she packed up her stuff and leapt onto the boat with the wolf. The wolf nodded his head and spoke, "Hello, Miss Shallow. I am Thunder, your captain today. Set your bags down and have a seat", as he sat down at the back of the boat. Shallow dropped her bags onto the floor, and took a seat next to Thunder. He pulled a string, and they started moving. Shallow looked back to the Harbor and her friends, lost in her thoughts. Thunder stabbed her with a claw, sending her back into reality. He growled, "We're here. I've been waiting for you to get up. Someone is here to give you a tour." She grabbed her bags and stepped out of the boat. 

She saw the castle of the queen towering above the city. All around, there were foxes, wolves and cats walking around. Shallow walked through the rose-covered arches into the city. She saw a fox sitting on a large bench, looking over the edge of the floating city.

 The fox was the same color as her, a pinkish silver. The fox turned around and saw Shallow standing there. She said in a deep voice, "You must be Shallow. Welcome to the city. I'm Blossom." Shallow dipped her head in respect, seeing the Rose Crest on Blossom's chest plates. She replied, "I am Shallow! Where will we go first?" Blossom said in a gruff voice, "To the castle. No one told you?" she finished with a note of surprise. Shallow replied, confused, "Told me what? My mother said there would be a better life here. Did she lie?" Blossom rolled her eyes, and growled, "You're here to be a guard. For Guards of the Roses. Enough chatter. Go jump on the circle platform over there."

 Shallow saw a rose-gold platform and ran over to it. She leaped on it, with Blossom following. As Blossom stepped on, clear walls came up and the platform moved up. The walls opened onto rooftops. Blossom said with a smirk, "Go to the castle. There's a platform in front of the pathway to the courtyard. See you there." She disappeared and all that remained was a few rose petals. Shallow leaped from roof to roof. This was easy, she did it often. 

She heard a bit of tinkly laughter and saw a fox-like shape dart ahead of her. Shallow jumped quicker, and saw the fox-like shape behind her. She didn't care about the platform, she pulled a string and a pair of gliding wings came out of a pouch and she glided quickly down to the courtyard. A minute later, Blossom came running up. She said, "Wow. Good job. Well equipped at all times, and speedy with lots of weight on you. But, you must train to get better like everyone else." The doors to the majestic castle opened up, revealing a large open hallway with soft peach walls and rose-gold chandeliers. Shallow stood there, gaping.

 She saw Blossom walk inside and walk to the left, through a door, so she darted after. Blossom was standing next to a powerful looking wolf covered in armor. He quietly spoke. "You must be Shallow, the new fox. Welcome to the Guards of the Roses. Walk to the right, your armor will be waiting for you." Shallow thought that his quiet voice was unusual for his body. She walked slowly into the room on the right. She looked around. The walls were covered in glass display cases, holding silver armor. Silver armor? Blossom and the other wolf had rose-gold armor, she thought, puzzled. Then she saw the curtains on the other side of the room move and a golden fox covered in silk walked through the curtains.