~THIRTY-SEVEN~

“Come on, people now. Smile on your brother. Everybody get together. Try to love one another right now.”
~YoungBloods.

Yo! Guys! I'm back with another update, after a freaking long time. It should have come earlier but mehn, I got so occupied!😩😩

I'm so sorry for stalling 🥺🥺

This chapter is dedicated to Don_chizzy today is her birthday. Happy birthday babes! She's one of my most consistent readers and she's amazing. Cheers to your new age🥺🥺🥺💃

Shout out to MIGU_EL my boss😂 guy really helped a bunch with this chapter.

Shout out to VeeNovels too!

Last but not the least, shout out to DeverauxMorgan for the amazing cover in the media above. Very lovely!

Please read the Authors Note at the end. Gracias amiga.

Okay guys! We move!

    •ORE•   

I'd rehearsed what I was going to say almost a hundred times on the short bus ride to school from the hostel. That's why I was quiet throughout. Although, Fawaz and Josh and other hostel guys except Jeremy - who understood what was up with me - tried to make me say something. I'd only replied with a dry laugh or a forced smile which got wiped off my face pretty quick.

I even pictured myself talking to her and pouring out all I had to say. And every time I'd imagined it, it ended up with her connecting her hand to my face in a very hot and resounding slap. Heck, I even imagined her throwing a punch at me. No matter how positive I tried to make it seem, that was the only result my imagination could produce.

Calm down, I told myself.

It's just Chidera. Nice, friendly and understanding Chidera. She wasn't gonna change now, was she? She wasn't gonna beat me up, she couldn't even hurt a. . .fly?

We finally got to school and I made my way to the entrance with Jeremy beside me. Fawaz, Josh and the other guys, behind us.  As we climbed up the stairs to our classroom block, I smiled, slapped handshakes and gave fist pumps to many of the students, all calling my name; most of them, whose names I might never remember.

I forgot to let that much attention make me feel good. For the first time in so long, I forgot to drown in the essence of the school's love for me - their perfect Headboy. I forgot to feel myself. I was too focused on thinking about what to tell Chidera.

I was about to enter the class when Ashley stepped in front of me. I furrowed my brows while she just stared plainly at me. No emotions portrayed. These days, she was like that. Face stoic and expressionless. She used to smiled once in a while. It was not often but at least, she did. But now? I could not tell what was on her mind. Wasn't sure I could do that before anyway.

Most times when she smiled, it was when she was with Chidera. But these days, even with her, she didn't smile. I noticed a difference in their relationship. Ashley's behavior towards her best friend had changed. When I first got acquainted with Chidera, both of them were inseparable. They always clung together and it made it look like Chidera was the outgoing one and Ashley was the sidekick because she did whatever Chidera wanted. Followed her everywhere. Held on to her like her life depended on it.