The Drive Home - Part Five

______________

For a while, all me and Peter did in that old, busted up diner booth was talk. Idle talk about random things of little to no importance. The rainy weather, my sucky job; even about where I was attending college. He was asking a lot of questions; seeming to be genuinely curious about my life. I was more than happy to answer every single them with a smile. It wasn't like I had anything to hide.

"I've only been in this town for a few months." I started, fumbling around with a scrap of paper from our straws, "I found a roomate and a little apartment a few blocks away from here. It's a bit pricey, but it's a really nice place. My landlord takes good care of the building."

Peter nodded his head, sipping away at his shake. He wasn't saying much, but I knew he was listening.

"What about you, Peter?" I inquired, propping myself up on my elbows. If he was asking me a bunch of questions, it was only fair that I did the same to him, right? "Do you live with anybody? Or are you out on your own?"

Peter looked up at me, smiling a devilish grin. Those huge, unnatural canines glistened softly in the dim light of the diner.

"Well, I'm living alone for now, but hopefully that's gonna change.. real soon."

At first, I couldn't register what exactly he had said to answer my question. My attention was solely fixated on something else entirely; his expression. The half lidded eyes, the smile too big for his mouth.. And those teeth. I just couldn't get over how big they were. I hadn't seen his tongue yet, but I could only imagine it matched everything else in size. I was almost scared to actually see it. I couldn't explain why, but.. The thought made a cold chill run up my spine.

I was trying not to stare, or at least not make it so obvious, but I couldn't help myself. Peter must've noticed, though, because our eyes suddenly locked. I quickly turned my head away to avert my gaze, but it was too late; he had already caught my creepy gawking. I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could utter a single word, I heard a low, deep chuckle from the other side of the table.

"What, see something ya' like?" He purred playfully, reaching his hand up to his mouth. I watched with a confused look as he used his fingers to manually part his lips, giving me a better view of what I had been staring at. Milk white fangs that had a strange, almost inhuman shape to them. I swallowed the hard lump in my throat as my body tensed up.

'...They're freaking huge...'

"I-.. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to stare." I mumbled softly. I felt awful for looking at him like a circus freak, but it was just so strange to me. In general, Peter was much bigger than I in every conceivable aspect. He towered over me in height, his body was a few inches wider than my own, and his hands looked like they could cover my entire face with ease. It was the first thing I had noticed about him when we met, and it still continued to catch me off guard. I mean, how couldn't it?

"Oh, you don't need to apologize. You can stare as much as you'd like, darling." Peter cooed, twirling his shake straw around his fingers.

I slouched down into my seat, my face red hot with embarrassment. At least it didn't seem like my rude staring offended him. I cleared my throat, and tried to regain my composure. All I could do now to break the tension was change the topic; as fast as possible. He might not have been uncomfortable, but I sure as heck was.