Chapter 1

Ah yes, welcome back !

it's been so long since i've written a fanfic.. but i'm excited to be back

hopefully this will be better than that god awful highschool AU i wrote/finished over the summer.

catch you later homies.

~Sarah

((ps this whole thing is done in dan's perspective))

I walked home from work with my hands in my pockets. Two people stopped on opposite sides of the road and looked at each other. One of them, a woman with jet black hair and a beautiful shade of grey lipstick on, stared down at her hands. The other, a man with lighter grey hair, widened his grey eyes in shock as he looked at the woman across the street. They ran at each other.

"Do you see it?"

"Yes, yes I do! My name is Ethan, What's yours?"

"My name is Martha! My, what brilliant blonde hair you have!"

"Yes, and what a nice shade of red lipstick that is! It's beautiful!"

They walked off, hand in hand.

I wondered what red was, and when I'd be able to see it. The seemingly odd encounter just witnessed was someone meeting their soul mate. Everyone is born in black and white. Until they meet their soul mate, no one knows what color even is. It's always, "what a beautiful gray your hair is!" or, "I absolutely love your white shoes !!" It's kind of bullshit. What if you never meet your soul mate? Will people DIE in black and white? It's scary. But watching love happen is common, and obvious. But back to today.

After about fifteen minutes of walking down the streets of New York City I reached my apartment building. I checked my mail. I had gotten a letter from my supervisor.

Dear Daniel,

It has come to my attention that we will be getting a new employee in the upcoming week. His name is Philip Lester. I need you to train him. He will be working behind the counter at the cash registers, as well as on the floor as somewhat of a "helper" to shoppers, to assist them in styling the outfits they buy. I thought that you would be best to train him, since you have the most experience with the store. His training will begin tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Yours,

Richard Olmstead

Supervisor of Urban Outfitters

I folded the letter and put it into my bag. I hate training new people. They're all so stupid. If you're going into work at a clothes store, you should at least know how to fold clothes properly. Yet no one ever does.

I then realized that attached to the letter was another paper. His employee profile. I looked at the paper, which contained a picture of him and his resume. I looked at his picture. He was beautiful. His black hair fell perfectly, almost covering his eyes. Maybe training him wouldn't be as bad as I thought.

I walked upstairs, almost out of breath when I reached my floor. If that damn elevator isn't fixed by next week, I'll die. I was greeted at the door by my girlfriend, Amy. She kissed me on the cheek and her grey hair got in my mouth. One might wonder why people even decide to date when they know the person they're with isn't their true love? It's for the same reason people date people they know they aren't going to be with forever. They get tired of living alone, and need someone to be with. Amy knows it won't last forever. But I really like her a lot. She's very kind.

"How was work today, babe?" Amy's voice echoed through our apartment as she yelled from the kitchen.

"It was ok," I said, "We're getting a new worker tomorrow. I have to train him."

"That sounds fun! Is he cute?" She winked at me.

"Yeah, he's alright." Amy took the employee profile from my hand and nodded. "Yep. He's cute, I'm jealous." I laughed at her. "Don't worry about it." Yet if anything, I was worrying about it. He was terribly cute. I went through the rest of the day thinking about him, dreading the next day. When I was about to go to sleep, I turned on the lights to the bedroom in my apartment and looked at Phil's employee profile once more. My eyes widened in a mix of horror and confusion.

Phil's eyes were blue.