tims contest

#TimsEspressYourself

I pull the oven door open and a wave of smoke billows out into the apartment. The fire alarm goes off and the sprinkler system turns on. I yelp as the cold water rains down on me and quickly put oven mitts on to pull the cake out. I place it on the stove top and stare at the charred, black abomination of a cake as the sprinkler overhead continues to douse me.

Hello darkness my old friend.

Someone knocks on the door. I push my wet hair away from my face and answer it. It's Isaac.

"You look like a hot mess," he comments.

"You think I'm hot?" I tease.

"N-no!" he stammers, blushing.

"Relax, I'm kidding. What do you want?"

"I wanted to see how badly you're bombing this." He peers over my shoulder at the burnt cake.

"Are you trying black forest cake with a twist? That's not how they get the dark colour."

"Shut up Isaac," I shut the door in his face.

The sprinklers turn off and I lean against the door contemplating what I'm going to do next. Isaac's words echo in my head.

Are you trying black forest cake with a twist?

"That's it! I'll make a black forest cake with a twist." I pull out my phone and open the Tim Hortons app. I select the delivery option so that I have time to start on the new batter. I order three espresso shots and decide to treat myself to a cinnamon caramel oat latte and a box of assorted timbits to improve my mood.

Jason is on the way with your order.

I take a calming breath and pull out all the ingredients that I need for the new batter. I sift the dry ingredients together and my phone dings.

Jason is outside.

Hurrying downstairs, I greet Jason and take my order from him. I run back upstairs carefully balancing the items on the tray. Turning my attention back to the batter, I add the wet ingredients to the dry and pour in the espresso shots. I mix it all together and pour it into the cake pan. I place the cake in the oven, set a timer on my phone, and then take a sip of my cinnamon caramel oat latte. Content, I sit on the couch. Isaac doesn't stand a chance.