Mr. Wilson's Story

When i called upon my friend, Mr Sherlock Holmes, he was conversing with a visitor, who was an elderly with fiery red hair.

Holmes introduced me to the visitor, Mr Jabez Wilson. He was a pawn-broker. Holmes asked him to repeat his story for me. He began by showing us an advertisement in a newspaper. It read as follows -

To the Red-Headed League
There is a vancany for a member of the League, and the salary is four pounds a week for nominal services. Red-Headed men may apply in person on Monday, at eleven o'clock, to Duncan Ross, at the office of the League, 7 Fleet Street.

The advertisement had appeared in newspaper two months ago. Mr Wilson's assistant, Vincent Spaulding, had shown it to him. Mr Wilson liked his assistant Spaulding. He was smart, efficient and worked for only half the normal wages! But, the assistant also had his faults. Every now and then, he left work and went down into the cellar to develop photographs. Photography was his hobby.

Spaulding showed the advertisement to Mr Wilson and explained to him that an American millionaire, Mr Ezekiah Hopkins, had founded the famous Red-Headed League, to help all red-heads like himself. Spaulding urged Mr Wilson to apply for the job. So, the two of them went to the address given in the advertisement.

Fleet Street was full of red-headed people. Mr Wilson thought that with so much competition he would not get the job. He wanted to go back, but Spaulding pushed through the crowd and took Mr Wilson to the office.

There was nothing in the office but a couple of chairs and a table. A red-headed man sat behind the table. He was Mr Duncan Ross, a representative of the Red-headed League. He was very pleased to see Mr Wilson, and announced immediately that he was well suited for the job. He shook hands with Mr Wilson, congratulated him, and told all other candidates to go back.

Mr Duncan Ross explained that Mr Wilson would have to be in the office from ten to two. If he left the office, he would lose the job, Spaulding assured Mr  Wilson that he would look after Mr Wilson's business in his absence. The pay was fixed at four pounds a week.

“And the work?” said Mr Wilson.

“You have to copy out the Encyclopedia Britannica.”

The pay was very good, and the work was light. Mr Wilson accepted the job and began his work the very next day. Me Duncan Ross was there in the office to see that Mr Wilson did his work properly and did not leave the office. He told Mr Wilson to start with the letter ‘A’. Mr Wilson wrote diligently
for four hours without leaving his place. Mr Ross would drop in from time to time to see that all was right with Mr Wilson. At two o‘clock, he bade Mr Wilson good-day, and locked the door of the office.

“This went on day after day, Mr Holmes,” said Mr Wilson, “and on Saturday i got my salary. It was the  same next week, and the same the week after. After a few days, Mr Duncan Ross came in only once in a while and after a time, he did not come in at all”.

Mr Wilson continued, “Eight weeks had passed like this, and i had written about Abbots, Archery etc. and hoped that i might get on to ‘B’ soon. And then suddenly the whole business came to an end.”

“To an end?” Holmes asked.

“Yes, Sir. This morning, i went
to my work as usual at ten o‘clock, but the door was shut and locked with a little note nailed on it. It said -

The Red-headed League is dissolved.
Oct 9, 1880.

“i went home and asked my assistant Spaulding for advice. But he could not help me in any way. I want to find out about the League, Mr Holmes, who they are and why they played this prank upon me. The whole thing is a mystery. That's  is why i came to you. I have heard a lot about you”.

Holmes found Mr Wilson's story very unusual. He asked,“Mr Wilson, this assistant of yours who first called your attention to the advertisement - what is he like?”

“Small, stout, with no hair on this face. He has a white splash of acid on his forehead.

“i thought as much,” said Mt Holmes. “Is he still with you? ”

“Oh, yes, sir.”

“That will do, Mr Wilson. I can give you my opinion on this subject in a day or two. Today is Saturday, and by Monday we may come to a conclusion. ”

To be continued....