IV

tell me if you prefer long chapters like this.
september third, potions, 9:13 am .

"Welcome back." Slughorn began, standing behind a desk that held small flasks and cauldrons, "I'm assuming you're now well rested, it's been twenty four hours."

"And it's not enough." Sydney muttered, fiddling with the pages of her textbook.

"Upon everyone's arrival," the professor continued, speaking slowly as students blinked away the sleep - "I'll choose your partners for you, - each pair have to work on first semester assignments together."

"after Christmas break, the first semester will be over. And you'll have to finish the last graduation assignment, on your own."

"Great." Sydney huffed, leaning back in her chair. The fabric of her white shirt stretched delicately over her soft skin and she had her red hair in a braid. There was a crease between her brows from the frown she kept.

Maya sat next to her, lost in thought.

Her focus drifted to random items in the room, her gaze refusing to remain fixed. Her light brown hair fell in waves that framed her face, soft strands the color of chestnut.

The Light blue hues she possessed, the ones that were always mistaken for pale grey, finally settled on the dusty cover of her borrowed potions textbook.

She came a few minutes before everyone else and took it out of the cupboard to refrain being under her classmates' watchful eyes.

"Never thought I'd say this," Isaac began, making Maya's head turn toward him.

He sat in the desk next to theirs, without company, cracking his knuckles with impatience as they waited for class to start. "But this isn't the same without Snape."

Maya nodded slowly, remembering how weird it felt to look at the professor's table during the sorting - and find Snape's chair, the one that usually sat at the end, empty.

And it wasn't because he was running late or because he was preparing another test for them to take. It's because he's gone.

"He always bullied the shit out of everyone." Sydney said, indifferently, "but yeah, it's weird, him not being here."

"We still don't know who'll be teaching the defense against the dark arts." Maya added.

"Imagine if they brought Umbridge back." Sydney suggested, fiddling with the white feather attached to the end of her quill.