Part 01

The room was cold and silent, imposing a morose aura over everyone who entered. It wasn't bright, none of the new technologies that had begun popping up all over the place. In fact, it was discerning being in this primitive room while just outside the door were thousands of war prisoners preparing advanced weapons that could disintegrate someone with a single touch. Bucky hadn't thought he would long to return to the tight, crowded cell he had been in earlier.

A nurse entered the room. She wore the standard blue pinstripe dress and white cap and apron of the DRK. She was quite beautiful, objectively speaking. Bucky would never admit that he found a member of the German forces attractive, but now, while he was alone with her, he supposed it would be okay to admire her.

He smirked as she came to check his restraints.

She didn't even raise a brow, just moved to the side table with her back to him when she was finished.

"I thought this was a war prison, but I must be in a museum because you're a piece of art."

Again, nothing.

He waited until she returned to his side. A hiss escaped him as she abruptly jabbed a needle in his arm. are. I'm Bucky."

"I know who you are." She returned to the table.

"Good." He grunted, trying to readjust as best he could on the metal table. "What say you and I go cut a rug when we're done with this?"

A tool slipped from her hand, dropping to the floor.

"—Fräulein L/n." A short, portly man wearing a lab coat entered the room. "Is the subject ready?"

"Yes, Dr. Zola."

"Good."

Bucky noticed that the two had very different accents, neither of which sounded entirely German. The doctor appeared at his side, testing his restraints again.

"You know, doc, your sweet assistant already did that." The doctor ignored Bucky. "Are either of you going to tell me why I'm in here." Again, he was ignored.

"Fräulein," the doctor turned to the woman, "I am ready to begin."

Saying nothing, she left the room.

"Now, Sergeant Barnes, try to stay still."

--

Bucky couldn't move. He wasn't sure if he even wanted to; everything hurt. Keeping his eyes closed offered a slight reprieve from the pounding in his head, but nothing could tune out the voice of the doctor.

Finally, the doctor's voice ceased and was replaced by the soft speech of the nurse that had been there earlier.

"Sergeant Barnes, you'll be alright."

He smiled faintly. Her voice was right beside his ear, and he wished that he could muster enough strength to open his eyes and get a good look at hers.

A cool cloth rested on his forehead. "I'll take care of you."

--

This routine continued for several days. Bucky stayed in the morose room, only being allowed to move about during mealtimes.

Soon after breakfast, a couple armed guards would enter the room and strap him back onto the metal table. At first, Bucky fought them, but with each passing day, he felt weaker and lost the urge to fight back.

Then, the nurse would enter. She'd check his straps, organize the doctor's tools, and give him a shot of something. He'd talk at her—mainly flirting—but also trying to get a name out of her. All he had was L/n, the name the doctor used when talking to her.

When the doctor entered, the nurse would leave, and Bucky would endure the most terrible pain he had ever experienced.

It was only once the doctor had finished that the nurse would return. She'd whisper things to him. Mostly reassurances or words to give him hope.

On the fifth day, things were different. It started the same as always, but then when the doctor left and the nurse returned, she didn't talk to him immediately. The room stayed silent, filled only with the sound of his erratic breaths. She placed the cool cloth on his forehead.

"Y/n," she whispered. "My name is Y/n."

Bucky smiled. "I was right," he croaked. "It's as beautiful as you." He heard her giggle softly. "Why are you here?"

She hesitated. "I have no choice."

He didn't push. "Help me get out of here? Please."

"I'm sorry, Sergeant, but I can't."

--

"What did you mean, 'you have no choice'?" Bucky asked as the nurse checked his restraints. "I've been thinking about it all night. We all had a choice."

Y/n shushed him. "Dr. Zola could come at any moment."

"I don't care. You have a choice; you can help these bastards torture people, or you can do what's right."

"I'm sorry, Sergeant Barnes, but you're wrong."

Dr. Zola entered a moment later, and Y/n left. Instead of getting right to work, the doctor spoke to the soldier. "She's quite the girl, isn't she?" Bucky stayed silent. "Do you know how we found her? No, of course, you don't.

"It was about a year ago, on the eastern front. We were searching for soldiers; what we found was much more necessary. Fräulein L/n was a strange woman. Nearly every person we asked had a contradictory opinion of her. The majority could be sorted into two groups. Those that saw her as compassionless—she was responsible for nearly every amputation in the camp and never came back to check on any of her patients. Then there were those who referred to her as their angel. She was the face that greeted them when they awoke, bandaged and safe.

"We watched her, and many of the rumours were true. When taking care of the injured, she was heartless, cold, brutal, yet every soldier praised her upon waking up to her work. It was exceptional to watch as she captivated every man she met. I knew that we had to have her, so we made the arrangements.

"At first, she said no—said that she needed money to pay for her sick father back home. We have considerable resources, so it wasn't difficult to get her what she needed."

Was that it? The reason she wouldn't tell him why she was there, that she had no choice? It was an unfortunate situation to be put in, and if he was in the same position, he didn't know what decision he would make.

The doctor hummed to himself. "It's quite unfortunate that we'll likely see her go. Her father died just yesterday. We haven't told her yet, but I'm certain once we do, she'll want to leave."

Bucky knew what the doctor was saying—no one left their service alive after seeing their secrets—and he was sure it was just to get a reaction out of him. He tried to keep a straight face, but something must have given him away as the doctor started to laugh.

"Oh! Sergeant Barnes, have you come to care for your enemy? I'm so sorry to be the one to tell you; she'll likely be dead before you are."

The doctor chuckled as he began his work.