VI

tw: assault, touching without consent and manipulation. please read with caution.

 please read with caution

"Maya."

She shifted in bed uncomfortably, feeling the ache of her muscles before the faint sound repeated her name, "Maya."

Her eyes fluttered open, her gaze meeting the white ceiling above. Maya blinked twice, trying to keep her mind conscious and awake, to rid herself of the consuming tiredness she felt slipping back within her.

But all she wanted was to drift back to sleep.

"Finally."

Maya's head snapped in the direction of the voice, when she was focused enough to realize she had company.

"Hey, sleepy head." Sydney forced a smile as she slightly tilted her head, "it's just me."

Maya relaxed, her rigidness faltering. She shifted under the covers, "what time is it?" the exhaustion in her voice didn't hold a comparison to the one hugging her body.

"You missed breakfast." Sydney said, placing a cup of coffee on the nearest surface she found, before she rubbed her palms against the fabric of her green skirt, "I brought you this from the breakfast table, but it got cold, - so it tastes like shit now."

Maya nodded against the pillow before a muffled "thank you," left her lips.

The red head hesitated before she finally allowed her question to escape, "where were you yesterday, M?"

She asked carefully, almost like she's walking on thin ice that willed to break,

for she didn't know how much damage Theodore's recklessness might've caused.

His harsh words promised to hurt Maya when they were uttered in that potions class, and Sydney was aware they fulfilled.

"What do you mean?" Maya replied, supporting her weight on both elbows before she settled into a comfortable position.

"I came by at 11:30 last night," Sydney explained, sitting on the edge of the bed,

"but I couldn't find you."

"Right," Maya cleared her throat, her mind turning sharp as she searched it for a lie, "I was taking a bath in the prefect bathroom."

They fell silent as the brunette pushed the covers away, a wave of cold air rushing to embrace her skin. But her body didn't rest until she was mirroring Sydney's posture and their shoulders slightly brushed.

The silence was dawning on them as the seconds subsided into ticking minutes.

For the first time, Sydney didn't know what enclosed the mind of the girl next to her.

"I know I avoided you after Transfiguration yesterday, Syd." Maya began, blowing a sigh.

She sounded apologetic.