Treehouse

Author's Note: This One Shot is based off the song Treehouse by Alex G. It takes place directly after the Season 2 finale. The reader has accompanied Din and Grogu on their journey and has unexpectedly found love along the way. Din and Reader find comfort in each other and their feelings. But what happens when Grogu leaves them to join his found family in the Jedi, Luke Skywalker? How will the two people closest to The Child cope?

**********************************************************************

      Tears flooded his now gentle face like a dam that held too much water. It all led up to this. Years of chaos, pain, loneliness. It all came out right here, in this moment. He had cut himself off from so many people when his parents died. He had constantly reminded himself that if he had no one to lose, he wouldn't have to go through that grief ever again. Yet here he was. He slipped. He made the connection, and his little womp rat was gone.

     If he had done the right thing... why did it feel so wrong?

      He felt a hand graze against his shoulder, and he immediately tried to pull himself together. He didn't want you to see him this way. Although he could almost guarantee you had a similar pattern of tears twinkling down your face. The thought alone made his efforts to conceal his pain a useless one.

"Hey. We should go before someone wakes up and gets any smart ideas."

     It wasn't the voice he expected to hear right away, and it wasn't necessarily the one he yearned...needed... to. He turned to face the strong, but weakened face of Cara Dune, his friend and partner in crime. He noticed her gesture to the unconscious body of Moff Gideon, as her brows creased into a tight v-shape below her dark hair.

"Yeah... we should- uh- go." 

     That was all he could manage to get out. He loosely looked around for your familiar face. The one that he knew would bring him a part of the peace he so desperately needed. You were the only other person that could possibly understand. You were the only other person who shared his same thoughts. His same pain. But it was your own grief that stopped him from his searching gaze across the room. He didn't want you to see him like this. He wanted to be strong for you. It was the least he could do through all of the guilt he felt from separating you and the child. So, he scooped up his helmet in his weightless arms and continued his heavy steps through the door.

...

     Your head felt numb, it was empty. Or perhaps it was the feeling of all of the thoughts and emotions swarming at once that made the pit in your mind noticeable. You had completed your mission. But it was never really your mission to begin with, right? It was his... Him... Someone's voice echoed in the back of your mind, but not quite enough to pull you from the deafening, screeching sound of your own thoughts telling you to find him. But then you heard it. You heard the falter in his usually commanding tone. And if you were quiet enough, you could've sworn you heard the slightest, softest sob escape his lips.

     That was it. That was enough to pull you out of your own darkness and into a full-fledged effort to find him. You just needed to feel him. To grasp his hands. Feel the warmth of his palms. To know that he was here. Physically. If either of you were going to get through a grief as great as this one, it was going to take the other person. But you felt like you were running blind. Somewhere in the turmoil of the prior events, you had felt his oh-so-familiar fingertips shove you into the back of the tight, compacted room. You knew he had done it to protect you, but in this moment, it was the one thing causing you the second worst pain you've ever felt in your life. You couldn't stand being so far from him, right now.