00

“You’re pregnant.”

“What?”

“You’re pregnant,” Kureha repeats, ripping her eyes away from the monitor.

“No, I heard you the first time,” Luffy says, trying to comprehend what the hell just came out of his doctor’s mouth. He’s starting to question her credentials, maybe he shouldn’t have listened to Nami’s recommendation. Clearly, this doctor had a few loose screws, he should have known, he saw her smoking earlier. “I think you made a mistake, Doctor. I’m a guy.”

“I know that.”

Know what?

That she made a mistake or that he’s a guy?

“Then, it’s a mistake?”

“Nope,” Kureha says, letting the ‘p’ pop louder than he expected. “You’re definitely pregnant. I’d estimate it to be around five weeks.”

“But I’m a guy.”

“I’m aware,” Kureha says, way too calmly for a situation this abnormal. “There have been cases of pregnant men. It’s rare, less than 0.0001% of men can get pregnant. The last time we had a male pregnancy in this country was probably five years ago.”

“Five years ago? I was like fourteen years old,” Luffy softly replies, counting with his hands.

“Yes, plus we keep it under wraps because it’s not exactly normal for men to be pregnant.”

“No, you must have made a mistake, men can’t get pregnant, Dr. Kureha,” Luffy says with finality in his voice. Or maybe uncertainty. “When you said I should take an ultrasound, I thought you were going to figure out if I ate something harmful.”

“Yes, that was the initial thought process but it’s clear as day that you’re pregnant,” Kureha says, turning the monitor around so Luffy can see what she’s been looking at and he can see it very well. It looks exactly like the ultrasound picture for pregnant women.

He knows because he once went with a friend for her ultrasound and this is eerily the same.

“This here is the baby,” Kureha points to tiny little dot on the screen and it’s hard to believe that there’s a baby growing inside him.

Luffy’s mouth grew dry, his heart beating louder each time that it almost feels like his heart’s living in his ears instead. He fiddle with his fingers, trying to comprehend the situation, inside him was apparently a baby—a little baby that’s going to grow and grow and will give him an abnormal bump that normal men shouldn’t have.

Sure, it’ll look like a beer belly but any expert would be able to tell that it’s far from a beer belly.

“You can abort the baby if you don’t want it,” Kureha says nonchalantly.

Luffy almost wants to puke because this is his baby, he didn’t want to…kill it—no kill him or her. He isn’t that heartless but he also didn’t…couldn’t…he’s a man. Men are not supposed to get pregnant but here he is, with a baby growing in his stomach. He unconsciously press a hand on his stomach, his abs were still there, maybe a little less define (not because of pregnancy but because he’s been going to the gym less and less) but it’s there.

“Strawhat?”

Luffy offers Kureha a fake smile, his mind reeling on itself. “Sorry, Kureha-baasan, it’s just…this is a lot to take in.”

“Look, I know the situation’s a little bizarre, so why don’t you go home for today and reschedule in two weeks?” Kureha recommends, offering  Luffy a gentle smile and for once, he almost feels a little bit of relief from it.