December 23rd

TW: domestic abuse

     THE WEATHER IN NEW YORK CITY on December 23rd should've been chilly with light snowflakes falling from the air, but instead it was freezing cold, there was thick snow littering the ground, and pieces of hail were starting to fall. Not to mention the wind was loud, so loud that one could barely even hear their huffing breaths.

    Annabeth Chase trudged through the busy streets of the city. She was alone, carrying a backpack with her. Cuts and scratches covered her face, which was red and puffy from the cold. Her lips were chapped, and she was limping.

    None of the civilians spared her a second glance. Maybe it was normal for a half-dead person to be walking around in the winter. She had no clue. She hadn't gone outside during the day in forever.

    Just a little bit further. To the Coffee shop. That was where she and Luke had gone every single day, before he started going insane. Before he started hurting Annabeth. Before he kicked her out of their shared apartment, the one that they were planning on getting married and having kids in, and spending the rest of their lives together in.

    It hurt her head just thinking about it.

    It felt like hours, but she finally managed to get there. She opened the door, and the dainty bell jingled. The quaint little cafe was practically empty. There was no one there except for one guy with curly brown hair who was behind the counter, wiping it down. He shot her a grin, then frowned once he took in her looks.

    "Hey, are you alright?" He set down the rag in his hand.

    Annabeth nodded. She didn't trust herself to speak. Her teeth were chattering as she collapsed onto a chair. My head hurts so bad.

    Am I dying?

    The face popped into her mind. She willed it away, but it wouldn't go.

    "Hey. Do you want a coffee?" The guy
said.

    She nodded slightly, her eyes drooping.

    It hurt. It hurt everywhere. Her arms hurt. Her legs hurt. One was even in pain. It all hurt so bad. And it wasn't even the cuts. It was the fact that she trusted him. She put everything she had into their relationship, assuming he would be nothing like her stepmother.

    And then he kicked her out, exactly like she did.

    A coffee was placed in front of her. She barely noticed. She barely noticed as the guy called, "Sally!" She barely noticed as footsteps became louder and louder, and someone took her hand. She didn't care. She was frozen, inside and out.

    Was it all this blurry?

    Darkness.

    She opened her eyes. There was barely any light, and she appreciated it. She looked around. Blue walls. A brown, leather sofa across from hers. A TV.

    She was in an apartment.

    Annabeth sat up, rubbing her eyes. The pain in her arms had dimmed to a light throb, and her ankle had been wrapped with some sort of white gauze. A warm washcloth landed in her lap, and she picked it up, draping it on the side of the sofa.

    She tried to stand, but she immediately felt a sharp pain in her ankle. She yelped, settling back onto the sofa and releasing a heavy breath. Maybe don't try that one again.

    "Hello?" She called out. Footsteps neared, and the door swung open. A woman walked in, with wavy brown hair and a kind face. She looked nice, but Annabeth was done being trusting.

    "Oh, good. You're awake. Do you need anything, honey? Water?"

    "No thanks." She croaked. Immediately, Annabeth cleared her throat. "Where am I?"

    "You're still at the cafe. This is the upper floor. We live here. I'm Sally, by the way." There was just something about this woman that screamed kindness. Comfort. Safety.

    Slowly, Annabeth relaxed.

    "I'm Annabeth. Thank you for helping me. I really, really appreciate it." She smiled slightly.

    "Of course. Do you want to...talk about it? Explain what happened?"

    Annabeth shook her head slightly, wondering if that was okay. If Helen didn't like that Annabeth didn't tell her something, she was in big fat trouble. With Luke, it was worse.

    "That's okay. You can tell me when you're ready, or you don't have to tell me. But I do need to ask you to stay here for the rest of the day, at least. You need to rest."

    Was it like she had another choice?

    "Okay."