Chapter 1: The Nurse & Her Aspirations

Have you ever heard of the term "Auto-Memory Doll"? I wouldn't blame you if you haven't a clue of its meaning.

Why don't we start from the very beginning then?

There once was a man named Professor Orland who was married to his wife Molly, she was a well-known novelist at the time and an inspiration for many. By a cruel twist of fate, Molly had fallen ill. The professor's wife ended up losing her sense of sight, robbing her of her innate ability to write.

Descending into a deep depression, Molly lost all meaning in her days.

Out of the aching pain in his heart for his wife's suffering, the Professor invented the machine that would give her life meaning once more. His invention was the machine that would later be known as the progenitor of all modern typewriters.

Although he had only intended to make one for his beloved wife, it later became popular with the support of a great number of people. A whole new industry was born from his one act of love for his dear wife. The term "Auto-Memory Doll" was given to those who took the occupation of a ghostwriter or scribe, their sole duty was to be the fingers of those incapable of putting their own words into writing.

_________________________

It was always my dream to pursue a life like that of a Doll, to be of assistance to others in need, and to travel the world wherever my clients needed me. Those romantic ideas were what drove me to study that machine, to memorise every key it contained and every word that was ever written. All so I wouldn't ever have to look down at my rapid typing fingers.

My passion was to help others through writing, that was the life I promised myself all those years ago in that small rural town.

But with life, not everything goes as you'd desire it to. The war broke out between the north and south, with my country being caught in the middle and my dreams immediately being put on hold.

Naturally, with my mother being the head nurse and my father being a soldier, he was sent off to fight and she was busy at the town hospital.

I still remember the night my mother asked for help to treat the wounded. Her brow trickled with sweat, she wiped whatever red residue remained on her arms onto the blood-stained apron she proudly wore. So from that night on I spent four years of my life dedicated to being a nurse in our small town.

Even though I could never be on the battlefield, just seeing all these broken men was as if I was staring into a shattered mirror. Most of them were around my age, each one once held aspirations that could have taken them to the moon and back. Countless dreams and fantasies are being put on hold thanks to that godawful war.

But unlike them, I had a chance, I still had the opportunity to follow those dreams, those childish fantasies of being a Doll and being free to help people wherever they may be. At first, I didn't realise I could do it. Not until I met him—the boy who came from the heart of the war's closing days, a boy who wasn't quite like any other—a boy who was a lost soldier.

_________________________

During the four years of continuous war, thousands of young men were wounded and killed on the frontlines. With an endless horde of injured soldiers pouring out of the battlefield, a solution was realised between the two most prominent southern nations. The Kingdom of Enciel was a state that was on good terms with the country of Leidenschaftlich. An agreement was arranged and a haven was established.

The countless wounded were given refuge and rehabilitation in the Royal Capital, Enchaîné, which is located on the eastern side of the country that was far from the war's destruction. The city was renowned for its medical institutions which boasted a long reputable history, not to mention that it hosted a great number of doctors and nurses. It was one of the many reasons why Enchaîné was chosen to be the host of such a large number of wounded.