Chapter 1

Sally tossed and turned in her bed while the choir in the church hall sang the last hymn. She couldn't wait for the service to be over so she'd have peace and quiet.

It was her first day in a new school and the choir singing joyful hymns wasn't exactly what she was hoping for. Maybe something dark and gloomy. Because that was what she thought was about to happen once she got to the school. Her dreams the previous night was another factor that lead her being in a mood. When the church bell struck seven there was an instant cease in the singing and carefully, she stepped out of bed and sat by the edge thinking about what to begin with that morning.

Finally, she stood up from the bed having decided what to do but stepped on a piece of broken glass on the floor.

"God damn it"

She cursed silently knowing it was a sign of bad luck. Didn't she get her fair share of it already? The girls in her class were probably going to be bullies or the boys down to earth jerks and there was nothing she would be able to do about it.

In the bathroom, she did the needful and stepped out in her complete uniform.

"I look like trash"

She took off the neck tie and dumped it in her bag, hoping it would make her look chic.

"I'm off to school, Father"

"The peace of the Lord be with you" the Priest leading the mass that morning said.

An Amen was supposed to follow that prayer but the anxiety on what her life in North Valley would be like didn't allow it. She got into the taxi in front of the church and sat at the back staring out the window. A worshipper had volunteered to take the Priest's adopted daughter to school on her first day.

At least, she wasn't going to look shabby coming into the school from a bus. Taxi fares were always expensive so when the kids see her stepping out from one they'd give her accolade. But what if they had personal drivers their rich Daddies got them or maybe their own car. Then she would look extremely shabby. All those thoughts ran through her mind until she got to the school.

"Here goes nothing" she muttered and stepped out of the taxi. She was extremely shocked by the sight she met. The kids were walking to school. No car. Okay, only a few show offs. But more than half the school were on foot and they looked like the popular kids. There was hope for the living.

She knew her class since she was in the school on the previous day for the registration so locating it was no big deal. She made the decision to be the first to do the introduction and have a big, bright and bubbly personality. She pushed the door to her classroom open and with a loud voice, made her introduction.

"Hi, I'm a transfer student here. My name is Sally Hall!"

The students smiled at her probably amused by her loud voice.

A miracle! It worked. But kids smiling at a transfer student? That was something that didn't usually happen. She thought it strange and sat in an empty desk. She had liked the spot it had in the classroom and was automatically drawn to it when she saw it.

While Sally was sitting in the chair, the homeroom Teacher walked in.

"How are you doing today?"

The students kept mute staring at her. Sally wondered if they didn't know the woman. More, she wondered if she was in the school or class for the mute. Was that why they smiled at her earlier? Because they didn't understand what she was saying? After a moment of being ignored, the Teacher was about to walk out of the class room when a student stood up. Maybe, jumped up.

"Ma'am, there is a transfer student!" Frankie screamed.

Hallelujah! They weren't mute. Sally heaved a sigh of relief and prepared to be beckoned on but the Teacher wasn't making an attempt to ask who. Sally wondered if she thought the students were pranking her and decided to step up herself.