author's note

The Death-Cast system is simple: when you get the call, warning you that you'll die within the next twenty-four hours, it's a heads-up, one last chance for you to live.

In which two violinists meet through the Last Friend app: Brett, an orchestra concertmaster who's dying today, his life suddenly cut short—and Eddy, a second violinist who has the rest of his life before him.

They grow close to eachother as they live Brett's End Day to the fullest—for the sake of both their hearts, or against—no matter how painful it might be in the end.

(Alternatively, the difference between being afraid of love and being afraid of heartbreak—what starts as an unspoken promise to not fall in love, turning into the smallest and biggest of hopes, and surely into something star-crossed.)

A breddy They Both Die at the End AU.

• • •

notes:

special thanks to jade @mendelphobia for beta reading! <3

title from tchaikovsky's none but the lonely heart, op. 6 no. 6.

disclaimer: brett, eddy, and anyone else mentioned are their own people entirely, and by writing this, i'm definitely not wishing for any real people mentioned to die—i'm just a fic writer, and this is entirely fictional.

warning: major character death.