-Chapter One-

—Aether—

"Your commissions are here, and here, and here, and here." Kathryne marked out the points across my map. "You will need to talk to Verr Goldet, take out two hilichurl camps, and deal with a camp of treasure hoarders." She smiled.

"Thank you Kathryne, helpful as always." I turned and began to walk away. Letting the familiar streets of Liyue harbor surround me. It was always my favorite place. I wanted to stop by for a while before heading off to Sumeru, to let myself heal after the fight with the Shogun.

The smell of seawater, and food filled the air. People, smiling and waving at me. Naturally I smiled back. Paimon joined me from wherever she ran off to.

"So, what are we planning on doing today?" She circled me staring with her starry eyes.

"Our commissions." I think I was getting better at Teyvat, but I still enjoyed speaking my home language with Paimon. However she learned it. It was still nice.

"Ok, and where are they? More importantly, can Paimon get some delicious food there?"

"Not likely, it's mainly fighting off some camps. Oh and Verr Goldet needs something from us."

"Huh... that doesn't happen often."

"Yeah," I approached the teleport waypoint. "Guess it's something important." I extended my arm touching the cold blue metal. "Ready Paimon?"

"Yup!" She grinned. "Lead the way Traveler!" I reached out towards the ancient device. The blue light engulfed my senses, shutting my eyes out of reflex and my ears began to ring. I inhaled and exhaled, gathering up my thoughts. I pictured the mountainside of the cliff by the hilichurl camp. The harshness that awaited me on the other side of my eyelids began to fade. I felt myself exhale. The rocky mountains of Liyue towered above head.

"Alright Paimon it's a little ways away but a walk never did any harm. Or float in your case." I smiled at Paimon who turned away from me.

"Hmmmph. Paimon does enough exercise, thank you very much!" Her comment made me giggle slightly. I kicked around a rock at my feet. Sounds of birds singing would come into range every now and then. Paimon got infatuated with any and everything that she found somewhat interesting. The mountainside dotted with violet grass to my left. It's Xinyans favorite flower. I should probably pluck some for her. I thought. I went over to grab some. Around three seemed adequate. So that's how many I grabbed. There was a large tree which grew out of the side of the mountain a ways up, it casted a large canopy of shade, a lovely refuge from the beating sun of midday. I continued walking. Paimon was busy with a large rock. I let her finish admiring it before calling her to continue with our short walk to the camp.

I could hear the babbling of hilichurls in the background. I was getting close. I drew out my sword and exhaled. I'm plenty used to this by now. Then why did I have the feeling something was amiss? I felt stronger after having resonated with electro. I was stronger. Right?

"Be wary Paimon." I put my arm out. "Something's not right." I snuck up behind one of their towers only to find a pyro abyss mage. There. "Stay here," I whispered. Paimon whimpered and put her hands to her face.

"Be careful Traveler." She leaned up against me.

"Always." I cast out a beam of electro towards the abyss mage. "Hey!" I shouted in Teyvat. I began to use electro to wear down the shield of the abyss mage. It's fire re-burning old scars. I hissed. The hilichurls began to direct their attention at me. Surrounding me. I let out a burst of electro, surrounding me in purple lightning. I shouted. Letting all of my elemental energy go into this strike. Paimon quickly floated up once the electro resonance had dissipated enough to be safe for her.