CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

FEARLESS

       JULIE GOT SITUATED on the keyboard

       JULIE GOT SITUATED on the keyboard. She put her microphone on the stand and placed it in front of her face. Lee strapped her acoustic guitar around her shoulders and spoke into her mic, "Hi. It's actually 'Ju-Lee and the Phantoms'."

       Everyone sat there waiting for them to get on with their performance. Julie positioned her fingers over the keys and Lee placed her hands on the microphone. They spotted Flynn in the middle of the coffee house with the projector as she turned it on.

       And just like during rehearsal, Julie started them off by playing the piano as Lee sang...

"I'm stuck in your head, I'm back from the dead
Got you running scared, I'm fearless
I'm calling you out, I'm taking you down
Don't you come around, I'm fearless
I'm fearless"

       Lee began plucking at her strings and soon after the boys joined them onstage. Like at the school, gasps were heard from the entire audience. People even took their glasses off to make sure they weren't seeing things.

"Whoa, whoa
I'm fearless"

       Lee was the one to start off the first verse and most people were up dancing and clapping around to the music...

"I've got the upper hand now, and you're losing ground
You never had to fight back, never lost a round
You see the gloves are coming off, tell me when you've had enough
Yeah"

       Lee took the mic off its stand and danced over to Luke as he played his guitar and they shared her mic. She used her fingers to jokingly point from her eyes to his...

"Ready for a showdown, and we're face to face
I think I'll rearrange it, put you in your place
You don't get the best of me, check it, you're afraid of me"

       She shimmied away from Luke as he grinned at her and the whole band sang the chorus...

"I'm stuck in your head, I'm back, back from the dead
Got you running scared, I'm fearless
I'm calling you out, I'm taking you down
Don't you come around, I'm fearless, I'm fearless, I'm fearless"

       Julie stood from the piano as Alex slammed on the drums. She grabbed her mic and walked around the stage with Lee, preforming an improvised dance routine...

"You used to make my heart pound, just the thought of you
But now you're in the background, what you gonna do?
Sound off if you hear this, we're feeling fearless, we're feeling fearless"

       Julie shredded the vibrato! Lee could see her sister slightly dancing as they sang. She knew that the little motion was for her and it made her smile grow wider. As Jules was holding the note, the band sang the chorus again...